Monday 27 July 2015

Kedai Makanan Dan Minuman Foo Lam Mun @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Kedai Makanan Dan Minuman Foo Lam Mun is indeed a hidden gem. This restaurant is located along the main road of Ulu Bernam at the stretch of wooden shops facing the Chinese Club. I have always wondered what exactly they sell here until recently, when I started visiting them and checking out the food scene. This entry is a compilation of a few trips as I wanted to do one with all their specialty items covered. I had also brought some friends here and they were all simply in love with the food. Open from 12 noon till 12 midnight, this place has now become my favourite hangout spot for my late night tea sessions and having their Pau along with that is a must. Shortly, I will be showing you some of the 'must try' dishes here.

The Restaurant

Visible From The Road

They Occupy Two Shop Lots

Their Pau's Sell Very Quickly
They occupy two shop lots and the entire place is typical old school. The only thing modern here would be the LCD TV. Everything else is old school. There are two things that are very famous here. Firstly, it's their Steamed Soup and secondly, their Pau's. The restaurant is owned and managed by an elderly Chinese couple who have been in the business for more than 40 years. I was informed by the boss that they are second generation running this restaurant at this very same place. The environment is very relaxed here. You see elderly chaps sitting there, relaxing while having their favourite Tea or some having conversations with friends. And due to it's locality, the place is very nice and cool to sit in the evenings. The owners too are very friendly and chatty and that gives it a very welcomed feeling. Besides the extremely good food, this is one other reason why I love to come here. Now, let's look at some of their very famous drinks first.

Tea @ RM 1.30

Tea @ RM 1.30
All cutlery used here are from the yesteryears. Their Tea, which is one of my favourites is priced at RM 1.30 per cup. Some may think that this is a little pricey but for me, it is worth the price paid. The Tea is strong, not too sweet and it's simply perfect. I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Coffee @ RM 1.30

Coffee @ RM 1.30
Just look at the colour of that Coffee? Amazing ain't it. That's the kind of Coffee that we get here and just like the Tea, this too is priced at RM 1.30 per cup. Mega strong Coffee that would keep you alert all day long. Simply love it and I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Teh O @ RM 1.20

Teh O @ RM 1.20
I don't really fancy their Teh O but my brother simply loves it. He's more of a Teh O fan then I am. I still prefer mine with milk. One of the reasons that he loves it is simply the strength of the Tea. The dark colour is a clear indication of the amount of Tea Dust used. I would rate this at 9/10 . 

Black Bean Pau @ RM 1.30

Black Bean Pau @ RM 1.30

Black Bean Pau @ RM 1.30
Having seen some of the famous drinks here, let's now move on to their Pau's. All their Pau's are made by them daily. He has a whole range of them and they sell like hot cakes. To name a few, Black Bean Pau, Char Siew Pau, Pork Meat Pau, Curry Chicken Pau, Vegetarian Pau and Tai (Big) Pau. The above is their Black Bean Pau and this is priced at RM 1.30 . All their Pau's have such an extremely soft texture to them so much so, they are like cotton and having these filled with such goodness, is indeed heavenly. The Black Bean filling is just so tasty and fresh. Just perfect and one of the best that I have tried. I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Curry Chicken Pau @ RM 1.80

Curry Chicken Pau @ RM 1.80

Curry Chicken Pau @ RM 1.80

Curry Chicken Pau @ RM 1.80
Every other place that I have tried, their Curry Chicken Pau is nothing more than a serving of whipped gravy. This is the only place that I have ever come across that has large chunks of chicken meat and potatoes in them and they are so addictive. This and a hot tea on a rainy afternoon, a memorable combination it would be. I love these so much that I can just keeping popping them one after another. I would rate these nothing less that 10/10 .

Char Siew Pau @ RM 1.80

Char Siew Pau @ RM 1.80

Char Siew Pau @ RM 1.80
Another excellent one. This is once again the only place that I have come across that fills the Pau with sliced Char Siew's in thick sweet gravy. The meat is so good that it simply melts in your mouth. If Char Siew Pau is one of your favourites, then I would strongly recommend trying them here. I would rate this at 10/10 . Amazing ones!

Vegetable Pau @ RM 1.30

Vegetable Pau @ RM 1.30

Vegetable Pau @ RM 1.30
A rare one specially made for those vegetarians. Filled with steamed vegetables, it is crunchy, sweet and tasty. Not their best, but it is still good. I would rate this at 7/10 .

Tai Pau @ RM 3.80

The Famous Kg. Koh Sauce

Tai Pau @ RM 3.80

Wholesome Goodness!

Sliced Pork

Char Siew & Eggs

Whole Mushrooms
This is as good as having a full meal. The size is humongous. It is actually larger than a Personal Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut. Once again, filled with quality ingredients and is humbly priced at RM 3.80 . To name some of their ingredients, sliced vegetables, sliced Pork, Char Siew (yes, you actually get slices of Char Siew in these too), Eggs, Mushrooms and many more. Together with the Kg. Koh sauce, it is just divine. All you need would just be this Pau alone and it would fill your tummy. My all time favourite here and I would rate this at 10/10 .

Steamed Soup with Chicken and White Rice

White Rice @ RM 1.20 per plate
Now, having seen some of their famous Pau's, it's time to look at another unique dish here. This is a special Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken and one that is eaten with White Rice. I shall speak more of the soup shortly below.

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00

Pork Slices

Steamed Soup with Herbs and Chicken @ RM 8.00
This is another one of my favourite dishes here. This may seem like a common soup that is brought to a boil with day to day ingredients but it is simply not that. The entire herbs and chicken are steamed in this pot to ensure that the nutrition is completely intact and it is such a nourishing dish. Filled with loads of Chicken and herbs, it is such a delicious concoction. One that is only found here in Tanjung Malim. Contrary to the pot seeming small, it was actually quite huge and was good to feed a huge eater like me. Having had this with Rice, I was literally scooping out the soup to it's last drop as it was simply awesome. If you are in for something unique and healthy, then do give this a try please. I would rate this at nothing less than 10/10 .

The above are some of my favourites at this restaurant. Of course besides these, they have a whole list of other items that is also available including those Fried Noodles etc. But the above are the ones that I would strongly recommend. In short, excellent food, very reasonable prices, amazing hospitality and best of all, everyone minds their own business here and would leave you to be at ease to do whatever you want. Just love this place very much!

Address: No. 41 & 43, Jalan Besar Ulu Bernam, 35900 Hulu Bernam, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1200 - 0000 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment