Wednesday 3 February 2016

K & R Catering @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

We recently had a function at home and as I was looking around for a caterer, my Dad mentioned this place. The previous people that we used to cater from have unfortunately stopped doing so after the husband passed away. While keeping this place is mind, I checked a few other places that I am familiar with and they were all fully booked. Having had no choice, I went and enquired. These people have a small restaurant that only does breakfast business. They are located directly opposite the Petron Station (Old Esso) in Hulu Bernam. It is impossible to miss this place. It is a stand alone wooden structure and is directly facing the Petron station. Many years ago, this shop was run by another family and then it was known as Saravana Vilas. Having had the conversation with the lady boss, we then finalised the menu and price. To my surprise, on that very same day, they had six other bookings, yet they were willing to accommodate our orders as well. That took me by surprise. Never did I know that these people were so much in demand. It was then, my confidence in them was built. Having finalised the deal, all I had to do was to come on the actual day and collect the items. They had asked me if I would be able to supply the containers and to that we agreed. Makes things easier as I would not have to make another trip to return the utensils. And another thing that amazed me was the prices. It was at least 30% less than what the rest would have charged us. Very cheap indeed. Now, let's look at the dishes prepared by them.

Ghee Rice
I never knew that rice alone could taste this good until I tried this. It was absolutely delicious. Rice with ingredients and cooked with lot's of spices, it was a true delight. This was the best Ghee Rice that I have tasted. I have never tasted anything better than this even at those premium restaurants in Kuala Lumpur. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Mixed Vegetable
Their Mixed Vegetable was another good preparation, but it could have been better. Ingredients wise, it had it all but in my opinion, it was slightly overdone. I would still prefer them to be crispy. Tasty, but could have been better for sure. In my opinion, I would rate this at 8/10 .

Vegetable Kurma
The Ghee Rice and this Kurma complimented each other so well. Nothing much in terms of add in's but it tasted so good. I could literally live on these two items. For once, Kurma tasted like Kurma and not some watered down curry where I would have to guess that it's Kurma based on the colour. Delicious and I would rate this at 9/10 .

Ayam Masak Merah
This was a Wow dish. Tender cuts of chicken were cooked to perfection in that red, sweet and spicy gravy. Just look at the gravy. Mouth watering even when I look at it now. A fantastic preparation and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Mutton Perattal
I just loved the way they prepared this Mutton Perattal. Small cubes of mutton were cooked with lots of marrow and potatoes in a thick and spicy gravy. This was heavenly. Just this and bread would make a fantastic meal. I would rate this nothing less than 10/10 . Excellent!!!

Crab Masak Lemak
Since we had a lot of Perattal's, Sambal's and spicy dishes, this we had requested them to cook differently and they prepared it 'Masak Lemak' style which was just perfect. The crabs were perfectly cooked and served with a sweet and creamy gravy. A delicious preparation and I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Prawn Sambal
Another Wow dish. I wonder how they are able to consistently cook so many dishes and all turning out to be so good. The dish was spicy, very spicy indeed and came with some very thick paste like gravy. Just the way I love it. And it was finger licking good!!! Amazing preparation. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Cuttlefish in Gravy
Goodness!!! This was another heavenly preparation. Not overdone, the cuttlefish were tender and juicy and the gravy.... it was sooooo good. Having added a lot of potatoes was another excellent thing. Man..... these guys are so good. I would rate this at 10/10 .

I wonder how I had not known about these people before, else I would have used them for my office functions too. These guys were simply excellent. Every single dish was a stand out. For the record, this is one place that I will highly recommend. Yes, they are just so good. Very reasonable prices and extremely delicious food!!! It looks like these people are going to be my choice of caterers in town.

Address: Jalan Besar Ulu Bernam (Opposite Petron), 35900 Tanjung Malim, Selangor,
                Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0800 - 1600 (They are usually open for orders or best to call before going)

Telephone: +6017 238 5662 

2 comments:

  1. So This is a wooden shack..only breakfast? no banana leaf meal etc?
    You said cheap..haha roughly per pax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Li Yoke, apologies for the delay in responding. Yes, they only do breakfast as their main stream of business comes from private catering. Well, for all the above dishes, it worked out to be around RM 12 per pax.

      Delete