Friday 2 December 2016

Restoran Hijau Daun @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Restoran Hijau Daun isn't a new restaurant in Tanjung Malim, Perak. It has been around for more than 10 years now and they are famous for their lunch spread serving some authentic Malay dishes. Easily twenty plus dishes are prepared daily and the food is very good and it tends to sell out quite fast. In the evenings, not many are aware that they also do Malay style Chicken Rice which is very tasty as well and that is something that I have blogged about in the past, some time in June this year. And now, they have introduced another dish also available only in the evenings and that is their Nasi Kukus and Ayam Goreng Berempah. I am a huge fan of this dish and when I got to know that they have started selling this food item, I had to give it a try.  

The Restaurant With The Frying Area Set Up Outdoors

Inside the Restaurant
Generally this restaurant is quite deserted in the evenings. The problem is that many are not aware that they also do other dishes post lunch hours. Today was no different. When I arrived, I was the sole customer and that was to my benefit as I got things done rather fast. I ordered what I wanted and also asked for a glass of Iced Water which was priced at RM 0.50 per glass. 

Chicken Is Fried As And When The Order Is Received

Fried Potato and Anchovies @ RM 1.00
I ordered my dish and the guy went outside to fry the chicken. It is good that they have that small tent like stall set up outside the restaurant as now more people would be aware that these dishes are available. Another good thing is that the chicken is fried only when an order comes in. That's really great as the chicken has got to be crispy when served and this can only be achieved if it is just recently fried. While waiting for it to be ready, I went over to see if any of those lunch dishes were still available and the only thing left was the above Fried Potato with anchovies. Potatoes are my favourite and since I was already hungry, I decided to munch on these while waiting for my main course. The preparation was very good. Sweet and spicy and the mixture of the soft potato along with those crunchy anchovies were just splendid. They charged me RM 1.00 for this and I felt that it was worth it. A good one and I would give this a 8/10. 

Nasi Kukus with Ayam Goreng Berempah Set @ RM 5.50
The set looked good for the price of RM 5.50 . It came with a good portion of white rice, a reasonably big piece of chicken, some chicken curry, a little bit of sambal belacan and a few slices of cucumber. 

Loved That Spicy Topping

Chicken Curry
The rice was good and it came topped with some of those crispy, spicy little bits that I just love. However, the Chicken Curry was a little disappointing. It was too oily, in fact you could see a thick layer of oil right on top. I also felt that the spices in the curry were rather mild. It would have been better if the gravy was really thick and rich in spices. And not to forget a little less oily as well. Overall, that oily feel and the mild tasting curry didn't go well with me. I would only give their curry a 6/10.  

Ayam Goreng Berempah
The Ayam Goreng Berempah was really huge and it had a lot of meat to it. Great that it was very crispy and juicy as well. However, I felt that the chicken was a little over done. Should have taken it out a little sooner. Still, it wasn't really a big thing. The fact is I thoroughly enjoyed the Fried Chicken and as such, I'd give this a 8/10. 

Sambal Belacan
This Sambal Belacan was one potent stuff. It was super spicy and being one who loves spicy food, I was having a gala time. Just a little bit of that and the rice was such a wonderful combo. Honestly, this Sambal Belacan was the one that had saved the dish since the Chicken Curry was pretty bad. If not for this, then I would not have been able to finish the rice. Absolutely loved it and I would give this a 9/10. 

If you're a fan of this, I would definitely recommend you to try the preparation here. I am not saying that it was excellent so much so you must give it. What I meant to say was that you could give it a try. Moreover, this is the only restaurant in Tanjung Malim that does this dish. 

Address: Along Jalan Chong Ah Peng, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1030 - 2030 (Monday to Friday)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the great review bro, shall try when I'm down there around TM, keep the post coming, cheers

    ReplyDelete