Monday 29 July 2013

Tandoori Corner @ Boon Tat Street, Singapore

Located on Boon Tat Street in one of those pre war buildings is a restaurant called Restaurant Tandoori Corner. This place was suggested to me by a close friend who is a foodie himself. I was told that this place serves one of the best North Indian food in Singapore and that they are very much sought after that a prior booking is a must for both lunch and dinner or else you would not be able to get a table. Since he knows the local landscape well and we were meant to meet here for lunch today, I just followed suit.  

Restaurant Tandoori Corner on Boon Tat Street

Entrance to the restaurant

Opening Hours
Initially it was quite difficult for me to find this place as even the cab driver was unsure of the exact location, but then after going around this place in circles, we finally manage to locate it. The sign is somewhat hidden and that hinders finding this place easily unless you are very familiar of the vicinity. 

Interior of the restaurant

Interior of the restaurant
I was informed that the owner of this place was once a migrant from India who came to Singapore as a chef and later he started his first restaurant some 15 years ago and today has two restaurants in Singapore, both are very much sought after. The restaurant follows a very strict opening hours and when I arrived here today, literally all the tables had reservations and if I had not made a reservation, I would have to wait a very long time before being able to get a place. This place has also been highlighted on Tripadvisor as one of the best Indian restaurants in Singapore. I was told that their food is extremely good and the prices are very reasonable.  

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

Set Lunch
The service here is very efficient and it is still kept within the family members, mostly from India. After looking at their menu, I must agree that their prices are really cheap compared to any other similar restaurant in Singapore. In fact, it was about half the price of what I would pay in a similar standard restaurant. Their lunch sets too very worth it. After going through the menu, we decided on what we wanted and placed our orders. Now, I am very eager to taste the food, especially with all the great recommendations that was given by my friend. 

Coca Cola @ SGD 2.90
Since it was scorching hot outside, though cool and nice inside, I decided to have a Coca Cola and it came at a price of SGD 2.90 which I feel is okay for this place. 

Papadam

Mint Chutney
While waiting for our meals to be served, we were given the above basket of Papadam's and Mint Chutney and they were on the house. I must say that their Mint Chutney was pretty good. 

Butter Naan @ SGD 3.50 & Garlic Naan @ SGD 3.50
Instead of going for rice, we decided to go for Naan. We ordered one Butter Naan and one Garlic Naan. Their Naan sizes are really huge and for two adults, this bread was sufficient. Both their Naan's were absolutely delicious, in fact I would not complain if I did not have any gravy or side dishes to go with it as it was good to go on it's own. Absolutely soft and delicious. I would rate their Naan's at 10/10 .

Aloo Gobi @ SGD 8.90
Sorry that the photo quality is not that great. The Aloo Gobi was another fantastic dish. The flavours were really great and there was so little oil in the dish. I have not tasted Aloo Gobi this good even anywhere in Malaysia or India. Lightly spiced, it would suit anyone and would go well with both bread or rice. The portion size was also huge for the price paid. A recommended dish here. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Butter Chicken @ SGD 12.90
Another heavenly dish!!! Absolutely well done. Lightly spiced and slightly sweet, the Butter Chicken was one dish that you would savour. You could taste the cream from the butter and it was just simply lovely. The chunks of chicken were also lavish. Another dish here that impressed me. Again, a perfect 10/10 for this dish. 

Fish Curry @ SGD 14.90
The last dish that we had here today was the above Fish Curry. This literally brought back the taste of my Grandmother's Fish Curry and it was stunningly tasty. The aroma and spices were so perfect and the fish pieces were just at the right size and cooked perfectly well. We literally licked this bowl clean. It was so good. A perfect 10/10 for this dish.

Based on the dishes that I have tried today, I would say that this restaurant is exceptionally good. The food is good, price is cheap, service is excellent and what more would I be looking for in a restaurant. I must congratulate these guys for keeping their service and food quality top notch. No doubt that this is one of the top Indian restaurants in Singapore.

Address: 5 Boon Tat Street, #01-01 Singapore 069613

Telephone: +65 6223 3200

Opening Hours: 1130 - 1430 & 1800 - 2200 Daily
                            Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays






No comments:

Post a Comment