Saturday 21 December 2013

Nasi Kandar Fareed...Line Clear!... @ Bukit Rahman Putra, Sungai Buloh

Having started their business with a small stall in the middle of a parking lot, their business has grown over the years to the point that today they run a full fledged restaurant. Restoran Nasi Kandar Fareed Line Clear is located in the Industrial Zone of SB Jaya, within close proximity to Bukit Rahman Putra. Their iconic original stall is still in business and that is located about 500 meters from this location. In fact if you are coming from Bukit Rahman Putra, you would pass their stall first before reaching this restaurant. Do not worry about the directions as once you are quite close, the signs clearly direct you to both the stall and the restaurant.

Right opposite this restaurant, there is another restaurant called Nasi Kandar Fareed which signboard is quite similar to this but that restaurant has got nothing to do with this group. Perhaps they have named their restaurant such just to steal some of these guys success in attracting crowd. This restaurant is famous for their Nasi Kandar which is authentic to the Penang style. Having based in the middle of an industrial zone, most of their customers are the factory workers and of course, you have people like me who travel a distance in search of good food.

The Restaurant in Bukit Rahman Putra

Interior of the Restaurant

Interior of the Restaurant

This restaurant occupies a corner unit and their seating areas are segregated into two sections. This may sound strange as it even did to me when I heard it the first time. They actually charge different prices based on where you sit. If you sit outside, it is standard price and if you sit inside under the fan, they charge a slightly higher price. I have never seen this practiced anywhere else.

There is always a queue

Quite a good Variety
As always, there is usually a long queue at the food counter.These guys definitely have a great collection of dishes to offer.  First thing that I would like to mention is their rice. Here, they have three different varieties of rice, white rice, Nasi Kandar which is yellowish in colour and Briyani Rice. I have not seen this Nasi Kandar i.e. the yellowish rice sold anywhere outside of the old shops in Penang. Even if you head to the famous yet new ones in Penang, they still only serve the white rice and briyani rice. The original Nasi Kandar has to be served with this yellow rice and it was a pleasant surprise that I found it here in Sungai Buloh. As for their curries, they had a unique offering similar to the authentic ones found in Penang. My favourite dish is the duck curry and that too was available here but I didn't take that today as my family does not quite enjoy it. Besides these, their crab curry and fish egg curry are also worth trying. I picked up my dishes along with that Nasi Kandar, got the bill for the meal and then head back to my table. As expected when the guy was summing up my bill, he had asked where I was seating and I knew exactly why. I had taken the curries in different dishes as we were going to share them among the family. Although I had a number of dishes which needed an extra hand in helping me to carry the dishes, the waiters were not helpful and we had to take it ourselves.This was the only setback here at this time but they were helpful in assisting me with explaining the dishes that were available for the day.

Iced Tea

Hot Lime

Coca Cola
The moment we took our place, we were attended to by a waiter and we placed our orders for the drinks. I had the above Teh O Ais which was quite good. I would rate that drink at 8/10 . My parents had the Hot Lime which was nice but a tad too sweet. I would rate that at 7/10 and my brother had a Coca Cola.

Nasi Kandar with Vegetable
We all had the same of the above. This was their Nasi Kandar which is the Yellow Rice, Cabbage and mixed curries which is a must try at any Nasi Kandar restaurant. The person serving me was sensitive enough not to add the Beef Curry and that is something that I must congratulate him for. The other dishes were picked and served on different plates so that we could share and try a little of everything. The rice and curry including the vegetable was really good. I would rate the above at 9.3/10 .

3 pieces of Fried Chicken
The Fried Chicken pieces were quite huge in size and it seems to be a favourite here and sells quite fast. I would say that they were wonderfully fried and definitely tasted good. I would rate their Fried Chicken at 9.4/10 .

Fried Eggs
We also took a few slices of fried eggs. They were fried along with onions and chilies. There were also some spices added to this thus making it taste quite Indian in result which was good. I would rate the above at 9/10 .

1 piece of Ayam Kampung Masala
Another dish that I enjoyed thoroughly! Their Ayam Kampung was cooked in a thick and slightly spicy gravy. The meat was tender and the chicken piece was relatively huge. I would rate the above preparation at 8.9/10 .

Goat Intestine Curry
In my opinion, this dish was just above average. I would have preferred this to be slightly spicy and come with a thick gravy. Here, it tasted sweet and the gravy was watery which was not quite my preference. The Goat Intestines however were well cooked. I would rate this dish at 6/10 .

Curry Fish
The Curry Fish was really good. The fish was cooked to perfection and the curry was excellent. Although personally my preference would have been to have it spicy, this was still nicely prepared and it would suit the taste buds of most people including those that cannot take spicy food. I would rate this at 9/10.

Salted Eggs
The Salted Eggs were just so so. I was not sure what went wrong but the eggs were a little stiff and dry. I would only rate them at 7/10 .

Us Having Our Lunch

Lunch In Progress

The Bill
Our total meal came to RM 41.80 which is quite cheap bearing in mind the number of dishes that we had. Overall, the place is worth the travel if you want to have a good, authentic and cheap Nasi Kandar meal without having to travel up to Penang. I have not found similar quality Nasi Kandar in Kuala Lumpur and this includes the shops along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. Even in those famous Nasi Kandar restaurants along Jalan TAR, they do not serve this yellow rice. This place is surely worth a visit and do note that this restaurant has been highlighted in the Jalan Jalan Cari Makan episodes too.

Address: No.1, Jalan BRP 8/1D, Bukit Rahman Putra,
                47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 6156 1786  (They also do catering for functions)

Opening Hours: 0600 - 0000 Daily
                         Closed Between 1230 - 1430 on Fridays for prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment