Tuesday 21 April 2015

Restoran Super Kitchen Chili Pan Mee @ Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Kuala Lumpur

There are quite a number of Chili Pan Mee fan's out there and this entry is dedicated to all of you. Whenever we talk about Chili Pan Mee in the Klang Valley, very often most people would mention these three names. They are Restaurant Kin Kin, Super Kitchen Chili Pan Mee and Madam Chiam's Chili Pan Mee. In the past, I have dined at Restaurant Kin Kin and Madam Chiam's Chili Pan Mee, both of which I have blogged about before and the only remaining one that I had not visited would be Super Kitchen Chili Pan Mee. To fill that gap, I am here at their very first outlet that is located along Jalan Dewan Sultan Sulaiman Satu Off Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman in Kuala Lumpur. This restaurant is actually located opposite of Restaurant Kin Kin. Interesting to see that two of the most famous Chili Pan Mee restaurants to have mushroomed from the very same street and that too right opposite one another.

Their Very First Restaurant

Few Outdoor Tables

Indoors

Indoors

Noodles Preparation Area
Today, they have nine outlets in total located at various locations in the Klang Valley but this very first one, is still dear to them as the owners' are mostly seen here daily. I was here at about 3.30 pm which was almost nearing the closing time. There were just a handful of customers and the staffs were busy cleaning up while some were having their lunch. The place was just a simple restaurant. I am confident that their other outlets would be much more organised compared to this as this outlet is located in a rather odd location and the majority population which once used to be Malaysian Chinese is now monopolized by migrant Indonesians.  The cleanliness was also very mediocre. At one point, I wanted to use their washroom and went over to the 'real' kitchen of the restaurant and gosh, what a sight it was. I truly wished that I could have taken a photograph of that place. It was horribly dirty, stinky and messy. I doubt if that place had ever been cleaned and please note that it was an 'active' kitchen used by the staffs. Well, it was horrible and it is best that I do not speak any more of it here. 







After having returned back from my brief tour of their kitchen and toilet, I had a look at their menu. It seems that they have diversified beyond Chili Pan Mee as a number of other dishes had also been added to the menu. The prices seemed to be on the high side but it was on par with what Restaurant Kin Kin was charging. I believe that these prices have incorporated their 'price of popularity' into them. Anyway, I went on to order what I came here for in the first place and tried my best to eradicate those vivid images from my earlier tour that was still lingering in my mind. Their staffs seemed like a mix of Cambodians and Indonesians. The Indonesian lady was the one that was taking the orders and she seemed quite professional in her approach. Ordering was a very straight forward thing and was settled in a matter of minutes. 

Youee Traditional White Coffee @ RM 3.00
This seemed like an interesting drink and I went on to order it. Not sure what 'Youee' means but it was a typical glass of Iced White Coffee. The White Coffee was excellent and it reminded me of the White Coffee that I usually have in Ipoh. Anytime better than what is served at Old Town White Coffee. The price was a premium but I did not mind as the quality was splendid. I would rate this drink at 9.9/10 .

Chili Pan Mee @ RM 7.00

Chili Pan Mee @ RM 7.00
Not too long a wait and my bowl of Chili Pan Mee was served. The preparation was done by one of the Cambodian workers. It consisted a fair amount of ingredients and was served hot. 

Chili Flakes
The Chili Flakes may seem like a lot but they were not that spicy. In fact, if I were to compare this with Kin Kin's or Madam Chiam's, this was just not that great. The previous two would have been eruptively spicy with the same amount of Chili Flakes

Anchovies and Minced Pork
The Fried Anchovies and Minced Pork came in lavish portions and they tasted quite good. Between the two, the Fried Anchovies stood out.

Runny Eggs
The egg was runny, just the way that it should be. One prick with the chopsticks and the yolk started oozing out. 

All Stirred Up
As a complete dish, I felt that it was not up to the mark when compared to Kin Kin or Madam Chiam's. For me, there was just something that lacked from this dish and it did not give me the full satisfaction of having had a bowl of Chili Pan Mee. Even the noodles were not as soft and supple. Comparing the three, I would list Kin Kin as the best among all, followed by Madam Chiam's and finally this. Of course, when this is compared to the newer players like Jo Jo's, this is anytime better. Taste wise, I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Complimentary Sweet Potato Leaves Soup

Complimentary Sweet Potato Leaves Soup
When one order's the Chili Pan Mee dish, a bowl of the above Sweet Potato Leaves Soup is provided complimentary to customers. This is also practiced by Kin Kin. This soup however was not impressive. It was bitter and somewhat quite bland. Even the Sweet Potato Leaves seemed like they had been boiled for too long a duration and those too ended up tasting quite bitter. Unlike the soup that is provided in Kin Kin, this was a major let down. I did not enjoy it at all and would rate this at 4/10 . If you were to go through my entry on Kin Kin, I would have stated that I was in love with the soup and wanted to ask for another helping. Here, I was forcing myself to finish off half of it. That's such a contrast in preparation and after all, they were the same soup.

My Bill

Contact Details

Other Outlets and Their Contact Numbers
Overall, just as I mentioned earlier, this place would rank third among the three most famous Chili Pan Mee Restaurants in the Klang Valley. There are some serious points that the owners need to work on.Firstly, this particular outlet's cleanliness needs some serious action or else, someone is just going to fall sick someday. Secondly, the quality of the noodles and soup has got to be improved in order to sustain their business. I am not sure if their soup tastes this bad in other outlets or perhaps it is just that the employee preparing the dishes at this outlet had screwed it up. Whichever it was, I am not alone to say the very same remarks. A simple act of going through other food blogs on the same outlet would reveal the very same sentiments. Would I return? Maybe, but definitely not to this outlet. And if I happen to be in the vicinity, I would definitely prefer Restaurant Kin Kin over this, the gap is just too great to bridge.

Address: No. 33, Jalan Dewan Sultan Sulaiman 1, Off Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman,
                50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0930 - 1630

Telephone: +603 2697 0998

Website: http://www.chillipanmee.com/ 

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had this terrible experience.At the sight of a kitchen like that, I would have immediately gone to another place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under normal circumstances, I would have done the same too but just wanted to stay on and try the Pan Mee as this is generally said to be the second best in town.

      Delete
    2. Kin kin chili pan mee is original chili pan mee.

      Super kitchen get idea from there

      Delete
  2. I've only eaten at Super Kitchen in SS2, once and never again. The pan mee was tasteless and bland. Never had Madam Chiam's but Kin Kin is still the taste I like the most. JoJo was also a once and never again experience.
    Some back info I'd like to share. Super Kitchen is the imitator of Kin Kin which started in a nearby car park as a stall under a tree almost 30 years ago. I first began eating Kin Kin Pan Mee at that stall. Then they moved into their current shoplot.
    Super Kitchen opened across the road a few months later.
    The reason why it doesn't taste as food is because they don't add pork oil to the noodles. Same reason why JoJo is so awful. If you ask for chee yeow char, they'll tell you they don't use pork oil.
    The vegetables in the soup is not sweet potato leaf. It's got several names like manee-chye and sayur manis but is unrelated to sweet potatoes.
    You are very brace to eat in a place with dodgy kitchen hygiene. I really admire your sacrifice to further knowledge. Keep up the good work but stay safe!

    ReplyDelete