Monday 25 January 2016

Homie Recipe @ NU Sentral, Kuala Lumpur

Pan Mee has always been one of my favourites. A simple dish but one that requires great skill to perfect it. I guess my favourite is and always would be Kin Kin Chili Pan Mee which is located in Jalan Dewan Sultan Sulaiman Satu. I have tried the other famous ones too but in my opinion, that is still the best. Coming back to this place, it was just by chance that I came across this outlet which is located on the Lower Ground Floor of NU Sentral Mall. I hardly come to this end of the mall, closer to the Food Court side and this particular level. Just decided to take a walk onto this side and discovered this and a few other eateries which looked very interesting. Time was limited as I had to catch a train back. Having checked all my options, I decided to give this place a try. 

The Outlet On LG Floor of NU Sentral Mall

Simple Layout
This outlet is located on the far end of the mall, on the opposite side of Sam's Groceria. The place is a little hidden and you'd have to keep walking right to the exit to discover this place. This outlet is at the very end of the wing. The place was simple. I guess all Pan Mee places look very much the same. Even the furniture looked identical. 

Pork Free Menu

Varuious Type's Of Preparation

More To Choose From

Soups & Dumplings

Drinks Menu
This is a Pork Free restaurant and that is a good move as they open themselves to a larger market segment. Nevertheless, it would be great if they could get the Halal certification too if they are really serious about broadening their customer base. A good variety of 14 different Pan Mee preparations, ranging from the dry type to soups. Besides these, some dumplings were on offer along with a limited range of drinks. For a mall, their prices were cheap. In fact comparatively, they are almost the same with the other's out there. This is great as it is hard to get 'reasonably priced' food at malls these days.

My Order Confirmation Chit

Chili Paste
As I knew exactly what I wanted, ordering was a breeze. The lady boss was quite friendly and patiently waited by my side while I glanced through the menu. Once confirmed, a confirmation slip was left on the table. She then arrived within minutes with the cutlery and the above Chili Paste. Just to test it out, I dipped one end of the chopsticks into the chili paste and tasted. My Goodness!!! It was really spicy and I loved it. One hardly get's good quality, non watered down version of this anymore and this was simply too good. I would rate this nothing less than a 10/10. 

Sambal Chili Shrimp Pan Mee @ RM 10.90
In about 10 minutes, my order was sent over. I ordered the above Sambal Chili Shrimp Pan Mee and it was priced at RM 10.90 per bowl. Portion was good for the price and it came with loads of dry shrimp, egg and lots of Sambal.

Dried Shrimps
These dried Shrimps were just fantastic. Perfectly seasoned, they were an absolute delight and gave a unique and brilliant after taste to the dish.

Eggs
The yolk was runny and perfect but the egg white was overdone. It should have been taken out slightly earlier. Once mixed up, the yolk blended well with the noodles but the egg white just detached itself and remained hard and in bits and pieces. Taking it out a minute earlier would have done the trick. 

Sambal Was Superb

All Mixed Up
The Sambal was divine. Not too spicy for me and it was absolutely delicious. The noodles itself was good but not the best that I have tasted and this is in comparison to Kin Kin's noodles. If I were to rate this dish, for the Sambal and sambal alone, I would rate this at 8/10 . It was the Sambal that took the dish to a different level. Loved it! Really good considering that it's mall food. 

Fish Ball Soup @ RM 7.90

Quite Good
5 medium sized Fish Balls along with some greens in a soup made with some prawn stock and dried shrimps and this was priced at RM 7.90 . Very reasonable I would say. Even in my hometown, these days each Fish Ball is priced at RM 1.00 each and some of those are smaller than this one. The Fish Balls were good. Once again, not one that was made using those high quality fish as it was evident from the texture, nevertheless tasty. The prawn stock added to the soup gave it a light tea like colour as opposed to the usual clear soup and this was surely a welcomed improvisation. I liked this dish. In fact, for those light eaters, this alone is good as a full meal. Based on my taste buds, I would rate this at 8/10 .

Bill For The Day
Both dishes that I tried this evening were truly enjoyable. I would surely be returning  as I loved their Sambal Pan Mee. Not for anything else but the Sambal itself. That was a taste to remember. Definitely a place that I would recommend. 

Address: LG 18, NU Sentral Mall, Jalan Stesen Sentral 5, 
                Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200 Daily

Telephone: +603 2276 3700 

1 comment:

  1. agree. if they can get halal certificate, i can easily and confidently ask my friends to dine there.

    ReplyDelete