Friday 22 January 2016

London Sandwich Co. @ NU Sentral, Kuala Lumpur

London Sandwich Co. is a new chain that had just started in recent years. I understand that this belongs to the same group that started Boost Juices in Malaysia and Singapore. In recent months, there has been a rapid expansion in terms of number of outlets throughout the Klang Valley. I was in NU Sentral this afternoon and was surprised to find an outlet here on the 4th Level of the mall. I have only seen their outlet in KLCC and this one was much bigger than that. As I had limited time, a quick sandwich would be best and as such, decided to give them a try.

The Outlet On Level 4 of NU Sentral Mall

Sandwiches Being Heated Up

Simple But Comfortable Seating

Cols Sandwiches

Toasties and Salad's
They had a good selection of sandwiches ranging from cold sandwiches to toasties. Besides these, fresh fruits, salad's, cakes and some drinks were available. My friend and I collected our sandwiches and headed over to the cashier. Basically, both of us had a toastie each and one Curry Puff which we decided to share and the total came close to RM 30.00 . Wow. That's premium prices for sure. I could get some excellent sandwiches for half that price elsewhere. Anyway, since we were trying this place out, we just went along. Seeing the prices of food items here, we even decided on skipping coffee. I'd rather get a bottle of water elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Even Banana's were sold at RM 2.00 each. Prices aside, the place was cosy. It's not one of those places to expect a great dining experience as it's designed to be a grab and go concept. Once we paid, we then handed the items over and they heated them up for us. To my surprise, they don't practice sending them over to your tables. Once ready, one would have to self collect the items. For the price, I was expecting that they could have done this at least. We could always argue based on the prices of food in Starbucks and Coffee Bean but I think it would be unfair to do so. The ambiance is completely different and those two places cannot be compared apple to apple. In fact, based on the portions, I would boldly say that Starbucks is definitely cheaper.

Potato Curry Puff @ RM 4.50

A Very Stingy Portion
The Potato Curry Puff was priced at RM 4.50 and in terms of size, it was probably just the half of my palm. And one can see from the above photograph, that is the kind of stingy filling that came with it. Worth the RM 4.50? Definitely not. Taste wise, it was nothing great either. I would rate this at 3/10. A sure no go from me.

Tuna Melt Toastie @ RM 11.90

Decent Volume of Tuna
In terms of the fillings, this was much better than the earlier one. At least this had some visible Tuna on the bread along with a thin slice of cheese. But once again RM 11.90 for this? It tasted much better than the earlier one but that in no way justifies the price. If one were to check out some of those cafe's selling Tuna Sandwiches, have a look at the volume of Tuna. It would probably be thrice more than this one. And I am comparing to those that are priced along the same price bracket. Taste wise, this was 8/10 but I doubt I would be a repeating customer bearing in mind the price.

Ham & Cheese Toastie @ RM 11.90

Thin Slice Of Cheese and Ham
I don't want to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. So let me keep it brief. The taste was good and for that I would rate this at 7/10 . But the price was surely demotivating. 

Loyalty Benefits

Loyalty Benefits
In summary, both of us were not happy with what we got for the price. One could charge premium prices as long as they provide us the ambiance like the other big brands. Here, there wasn't much of an ambiance or customer service. The food was nothing much but simple preparations that one can prepare at home in a matter of minutes. Perhaps, this outlet is targeting at the expatriate market only as that is the only thing that I can summarise from my experience this afternoon. If one is to check their Facebook page, you'd see that most people have commented on the same too.

Address: Level 4, NU Sentral Mall, Jalan Tun Sambanthan, 
                 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: Mon - Fri: 0700 - 2200
                             Sat & Sun: 1000 - 2200
                             Public Holidays: 1000 - 2200


No comments:

Post a Comment