Saturday 7 January 2017

Chicken Rice Stall in Restoran Uli @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Firstly, let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy New Year! As my first blog post for this year, let me introduce you a new food stall from my hometown Tanjung Malim, Perak.  

The Very First Stall Near The Entrance
I have done several blog posts in the past on Restoran Uli and those were mainly concentrating on the main kitchen and an Indian food stall, both of which operate solely in the evenings. Now, we have a new stall that sells Chicken Rice in the afternoons. This guy originally used to operate from Restoran 123 that is located in Taman Angerik Desa, the one right opposite the Hindu Temple near the traffic lights. As his business had picked up there, he has now given that stall to his wife to run and set up another stall at this restaurant. Despite being in a remote location and way out of town, there are lots of customers that come here solely for his Chicken Rice. This guy operates daily from 11 am till 3 pm. From my observation this afternoon, it is best to come before 2 pm as his preparation sells out very quickly. 

Rice with Roasted Chicken
As far as his offerings are concerned, he solely does Roasted Chicken, Roasted Duck and Char Siew. Siew Yuk and Steamed Chicken are not available. This afternoon, I wanted to try his Roasted Duck but sadly they were sold out. I was advised to come before 1 pm if I wanted to try that. I guess it must be really good for it to sell out so fast. Having had no other choice, I settled for his Roasted Chicken and Char Siew. 

Yellow Rice
Before discussing about the meats, I would like to say a few words about his rice. This rice was really good. It had that buttery taste and an overall creamy texture to it. He also adds some sauce to the rice that definitely boosts the taste. Truly one of the good ones that I have tasted and I don't mind having just the rice without the meats. That good it was and I shall give this a 9/10. 

Roasted Chicken
The Roasted Chicken was marvelous. Just look at it. So perfect! The skin had a beautiful golden brown colour and it was crispy and juicy on the inside., The meat itself was so tender and his marination had seeped in right to the bones so much so it was such a joy just to munch the bones. Amazing it was and I would give this a 10/10. Highly recommended!

Char Siew
His Char Siew was nothing much to shout about. It was neither bad nor great. For me, this seemed like just another Char Siew. It did not have the mind blowing factor like the rice or the Roasted Chicken. Still a decent one to have. There was an equal balance of lean meat and fat to it and mostly, the taste came from the sauces, not the meat itself. I would give this a 7/10. 

Clear Soup with Radish
His Clear Soup was good and the fact that he had added radish in it gave it an extra flavour. Mildly bitter, mildly on the salty side but it was good. This I would say deserves a rating of 7/10. 

Chili Paste
The Chili Paste was good though I would have expected more spiciness in it. This had a little too much vinegar in it. Nevertheless, I would give this a 6/10. 

Overall, it was a good meal. The highlights were the Roasted Chicken and Rice and I find the price to be very reasonable too. My meal today cost me a mere RM 7.50 which is a pretty good deal bearing in mind the volume of Char Siew that was served. I would strongly recommend this stall for their roasted meats and seeing how good his Roasted Chicken was, I am now yearning to try his Roasted Duck. Hopefully, I would be able to do it soon. 

Address: No. 87, Jalan Intan Setia 1, Taman Intan Setia, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak.

Opening Hours: 1100 - 1500 Daily 

No comments:

Post a Comment