Saturday 8 December 2012

Delhi Rocks @ King Street, Melbourne

For the past few days, I have been having very rich Western Food and today for a change I wanted to try something light and perhaps something Indian. I know of many Indian Restaurants in Melbourne but they were a little far out and would have needed me to take a taxi ride there. I just decided to take a walk around the hotel and eventually I found myself venturing into King Street which is just a block away from Williams.  Not very far from the beginning of the first block, I came across this restaurant called Delhi Rocks.

Delhi Rocks on King Street
An interesting name I thought. It was the complete opposite of posh, plain and simple. From the plain decor I understood that it was a simple joint serving home cook food. The patrons inside were mostly taxi drivers and a few tourists like me. I heard a few of them mumbling that this is the cheapest meal one can get in Melbourne. Quite possibly I guess.

Simple Decor
Okay, the concept here is quite simple. It is AUD 10.00 per meal and they only serve Chapatis. Simple as that. You would have to take a plastic tray which has three gravy holding compartments. Here you are allowed to choose from a number of vegetables and curries and fill them. Please note that this filling is done by the restaurant operator and it is limited to three only and no refills. You then had him a 10 Dollar note and grab your plate to your seat. Then a man would come around serving Chapatis.

The Plate With 3 Choices of Gravies
The best thing about this place is that you can go on having any number of Chapatis. There is no limit as this waiter goes around filling the plates. If the gravies that you took initially had finished, you could still have the plain chapatis if you could still eat.

On the whole, if you are looking for a budget meal in Melbourne, this is the place as meals can be very costly there, especially to tourists.

Address: 212, King Street, Melbourne,
                Victoria 3000, Australia.

Opening Hours: 1030 - 2000 (Weekdays Only)
             

2 comments:

  1. No refills? OH NOOOOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not. This is a poor man's eatery. He he

      Delete