Thursday 20 December 2012

Mum's Place @ Damansara Perdana

This outlet is one of my favourite outlets in Damansara Perdana, especially when it comes to Nyonya Food. It is located right behind The Place in Damansara Perdana but is well visible when you get to that street. I have been dining here for many years and this time, when my Global CEO and APAC CEO were down in Malaysia, I decided to take the whole team to this place. I had made the reservation the previous night as I specifically needed a long table to seat around 13 people.

The owner of this place was previously a banker from Seremban. A Malay gentleman, who had initially set up a high end furniture store at this very same location and as business was down, decided to convert it into a restaurant. The food is extremely good here and to some extent can be very spicy. It is a Halal restaurant but draft beer is served in house.

The items that I have ordered for the day are all items which I have tried and approved of its quality and taste in the past. Now coming to the food for the day.

Cencaru Fish with Chilly Paste and Petai
The above dish is an extremely spicy dish. What I did was instead of ordering a fish each, I ordered smalled portions so that everyone could taste more items and if anything was needed, then of course we could always add on. Let me add a note that it is a little pricey here but still manageable for occasional splurges. This dish is highly recommended.

Portuguese Devil Curry
  Another highly recommended dish at this place. This is not too spicy, mildly spiced with a little sweetness in it and a thick gravy.

Otak Otak...a local Malaysian Dish
The Otak Otak here is also quite good. It is skinned hence leaving you with little work and you don't have to get your fingers messy.

Spicy Mutton Curry with Potato's
This is one of my favorites here too. But I honestly always feel that the portion is too small for the price...perhaps because I am a mutton lover...hehehe

Butter Prawns
This was okay but not the best that I have tried. I have tried better ones in some Chinese restaurants. This was a little soggy though.

Steamed Eggs
This again was average. You can get better ones outside unless you find it difficult to have in a Halal restaurant, then it is fine to have it here.

Grilled Brinjals with Pepper
This was good and is a repetitive dish every time I come here.

Chinese Style Mixed Vegetables
I would rate this dish average too. The sauces did not seep in well into the food and it seemed a little raw at times.

Sweet & Sour Garoupa Fish
This dish was excellent but a little expensive.

A bottle of lovely wine

Another excellent Australian Wine
Well, the food alone was never complete if not for these lovely wines as we had some ardent wine drinkers at the table. Of course, we purchased these outside and were allowed to bring it in without any corkage charges.

All The Plates Cleaned
Everyone was happy with the food that night as you can see it was cleared. The total bill for the food came to RM 600+....okay for 13 pax I guess.I would always recommend that if it is a big group, call a day ahead and book your place.

Address: 33-1 Jalan PJU 8/5A, Bandar Damansara Perdana,
               47820 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Tel: +603 7727 8443

Opening Hours: 1130 - 2230

Web: www.mumsplace.com.my


4 comments:

  1. Hi Venoth, I enjoy reading your blog, so have visited Mum's Place tonight for the Mutton Curry on your recommendation. It was indeed a lovely thick curry, very tasty and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't find the grilled brinjals, so opted for the "four angle beans", also very tasty. The draught beer doesn't appear to be on the in-house menu, so I paid rm14 for a small bottle of Tiger... ouch. Cheers, and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Guiness, thank you for following my blogs and glad that you enjoy them. Oh yeah...their mutton curry is really good and glad that you found it to be the same. They must have removed the draught beers from their menu. Must be low demand for that but RM 14 for a Tiger is on the high side....yet nothing like a beer with good food :) Cheers to you too!!!

      Delete
  2. Honestly all the food here looks really great especially the Mutton Curry and Portuguese Devil Curry .Even the otak- otak looks different and special! Did you guys eat these dishes with rice or just alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was with rice Denise. Too spicy to have them without rice. Oh yes, the food here is excellent. Pricey but good! A nice place for special occasions.

      Delete