Tuesday 22 January 2013

Popiah S.S. Ali @ Seksyen 7, Shah Alam

As usual my days are filled with meetings and that is how as I travel, I discover new food places. Today was no different to that. I had a meeting at UNISEL Shah Alam campus and as I was returning, I came across this outlet that attracted me. Popiah S. S. Ali is located in Seksyen 7, Shah Alam.  I thought to myself, a full service restaurant selling only popiah, then it must be pretty good. That is when I detoured for a short stop to try this place.

Popiah S.S. Ali @ Seksyen 7, Shah Alam
Parking is not a problem here. I got my place right in front of the shop and went in. Everything seemed new and that was when I was told by the waiter that this outlet has been open now for 9 days. This concept is an old one though. They had the first outlet open in another mall in Shah Alam and this is the second outlet.

Interior of the restaurant
The interior of the restaurant was very clean. There were a few customers as they had just opened for the day.

The Menu & Prices
I initially thought that this was a self service restaurant based on the design but then was told for dine ins, they come up to the table to take orders. There is both inside seating as well as outdoor seating, specially for the smokers like me. The specialty dishes here are the Wet Popiah, Fried Pooiah and Curry Puffs. They also have a few main dishes but seems they are well stocking themselves for these specialty items. Those main items are only made to order.

Curry Puffs & Fried Popiahs
 There were loads of these Curry Puffs and Popiahs made and kept ready for the take away customers. From the way they were stocking, it seems that it must sell very well. Me, am still waiting for my orders. I ordered all three items to try. Initially I though that you can order one of each just to taste it but later I realized that it is sold by the sets. A set consists of three pieces and you cannot mix them. So I ordered a set of Wet Popiah, one set of Fried Popiah and one set of Curry Puffs. I surely know that I cannot finish them nevertheless, I could always have it later for tea time. A set cost RM 3.00 .

A Set of Wet Popiah @ RM 3.00
First came my Wet Popiah. Well, let me tell you, it was absolutely great. The fillings were fresh, sauces were rich and great in volume. On top of that, they have a layer of garnishing on top which is filled with eggs and fried dried prawns. It was heavenly with every bite. Excellent!!!

A Set of Fried Popiah @ RM 3.00
Secondly, the Fried Popiah arrived. This was good too but the popiah skin was a little too think. As it was deep fried to become crispy, it does hurt once you try to chew it. It is not bad though but the Wet version is much better than this.

Fillings of the Curry Puffs
 Then I tasted the Curry Puff. It had fillings of a half boiled egg and potatos. In my opinion, this was one of the best Curry Puffs I have had. The potato curry was spicy, the skin not too thick and it was filled to the maximum. You do not get empty pockets like most of the other places. If I would have to rate the three items that I had tried here, the Curry Puff comes first and close to it in score, the Wet popiah. The Fried Popiah stays third with a much bigger gap in terms of scoring from the second place. I strongly recommend you try these items here if you are nearby Seksyen 7, Shah Alam.

Address: 37, Jalan Plumbum R/7, Seksyen 7,
               40000 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200 Daily

Telephone: +6012 309 5195
                 +6012 709 5195

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully they will keep their standards up!I"m not a popiah fan but I surely do love curry puffs!The curry puffs from here looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully too! Yes, the curry puffs were very good!

      Delete