Wednesday 16 January 2013

Restoran Chung Sun Bak Kut Teh @ Sungai Buloh

The past few days, I was having the thought of eating Bak Kut Teh but did not get the time to head out to Sungai Buloh where I usually do. Today however, I had that opportunity and immediately head out to Sungai Buloh New Village area to my usual Bak Kut Teh joint.

To my surprise, the usual place I go to where there were three adjoining Bah Kut Teh restaurants were all demolished due to the road expansion works. That being said, I had to make a U Turn and head back a little to Taman Megamas to another place called Restoran Chung Sun. Sad to know that those wooden shops have been demolished. I am sure they have relocated elsewhere but need to do some research finding their new place.

Restoran Chung Sun Bak Kut Teh
Parking was not a problem here as this was a planned commercial area and parking was in abundance. Once I arrived and parked the car, head into the restaurant.

The Interior of the restaurant
They operate from two shop lots and really it did not look like a typical Bak Kut Teh restaurant. Cleanliness was a high priority as I could see the staffs incessantly making sure the floors and tables were clean. They also had a Grade A cleanliness certification from the local council.

I went up to the boss, a Mr. Lau who was preparing the dishes at that time and asked him what he has to offer. He was quite helpful and explained to me the various dishes they have here.However his first question was ...how many people and I responded with...one. Then he said that I have no choice but to try the standard Bak Kut Teh and perhaps another vegetable.

My Bak Kut Teh being made
A Write Up on the Varieties

I was told that they serve the standard Bak Kut Teh, Pork Trotter in Deep Soup, Black Pepper Bak Kut Teh, Drunken Chicken as their favorites. They also have a dry spicy chicken dish that is reasonably famous too. Since I was alone, I could not try the other dishes today but they surely looked good.

Braised Pork Trotter Being Cooked

This restaurant was mainly manned by the boss and son at the kitchen and his wife less friendly wife at the cashier. Then they have a number of Cambodian staffs too. I also noted one of the Cambodian staffs who assisted at the kitchen.

White Rice
Finally time to try the food. They did not have the Yam rice as it was sold out and hence had to make do with the white rice.

Mixed Bak Kut Teh
Then came the mixed Bak Kut Teh. It was already mixed with a little mushrooms and tofu's. The sauce was light coloured and not the dark one that I prefer. This was more of the Kuala Lumpur style. The last time I tried the dark base soup, was at my hometown and next time I head there, I would surely post an entry from there for you to be able to compare the soup. However, this was okay too and satisfying, by Kuala Lumpur standards. The natural flavour of the pork was nicely drawn out into the soup.  I asked for lean meat and I got lean meat. That I must thank him for serving what exactly what I asked for. The meat was quite soft and tender too.

Lettuce With Oyster Sauce
This was okay too and was prepared by one of the Cambodian waitress. No big rocket science to prepare this anyway but the vegetable was fresh and nice.

Side Dish of Yau Char Kui
This is a must dish for the KL Style Bak Kut Teh and is dipped into the broth and eaten. It was nice, but a little hard.

Mixed Green & Red Chillies
This is a must for me when I have Bak Kut Teh.

On the whole, the place was great and I would definitely come back again with a larger group to try other dishes. On the whole, for todays entries, it cost me RM 17.00 in total.

Address: No. 17 & 19 (Ground Floor), 
                Jalan Gelen JU/19J,
                Pusat Perniagaan Megamas,
                47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours : 0830 - 2100 (No afternoon closure)

Telephone: Mr. Lau +6012 368 0776

No comments:

Post a Comment