Sunday 18 September 2016

Chinese Mixed Rice Stall In Kedai Kopi Hup Hing @ Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur

This isn't my first visit to Kedai Kopi Hup Hing. Previously, I visited the Indian Food Stall and the Wan Tan Mee Stall that is located inside this restaurant and was very impressed with the food. At that time, I noticed that there was another Chinese Mixed Rice stall that also seemed to be famous with the patrons and all the dishes looked good. I made a mental note then to try that the next trip and here I am today. 

The Restaurant Located Along Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur

Just A Simple Chinese Coffee Shop
This restaurant is located opposite the main entrance to Kuala Lumpur General Hospital and is just a few minutes walk from Grand Seasons Hotel. It would not be possible to miss this place. The Chinese Mixed Rice stall starts as early as 10.00 am and business goes on till around 2.00 pm . Usually by 11.30 am, some of the dishes would have been sold out and the staffs would get busy and start preparing more dishes to replenish whatever had been sold out. It is always best to come here before 12 noon as it tends to be easier to get a table. From 12 noon onwards till around 1.30 pm, it's usually full house. The restaurant isn't that big and so it can only cater for a certain number of customers at any point in time. Having three different stalls which are all top sellers, you can imagine how the place would look like. In fact, many of the customers that had initially planned on dining in would eventually do take away's as there wouldn't be a place for them to sit. Easily during those hours, there would be at least 200 to 300 customers walking in. 

Local Coffee @ RM 1.60
Having been hooked onto their coffee from my previous visits, I ordered the same this time as well and it was one that did not let me down. A perfect mix of local ground coffee and milk. This is one drink that one should not miss. Perfect bliss!!! I would rate this at 9/10 .

My Selection of Chinese Mixed Rice Items @ RM 9.00
There were so many dishes to choose from and most of them were my favourites. After having been challenged as to what to have, I finally settled for the above which cost me RM 9.00 . Pricey? Maybe but it was absolutely worth it. I took two slices of Fried Luncheon Pork, some Fried Potatoes in Soy Sauce, two pieces of Pork Chops and some Stir Fried Ladies' Fingers (Okra) with Belacan (shrimp paste).

Fried Potatoes in Light Soy Sauce
Being a huge fan of potatoes, I just could not resist this. Thinly sliced potatoes were fried and then stir fried with soy sauce and onions. Somehow, the preparation here seemed very different and that's meant in a very positive manner. What did they add that made it taste so different is something that I could not figure out but trust me, it was so good and way better than the ones that I have eaten say in the last 20 years. If only I could guess what that ingredient was. Whatever it was, I absolutely loved it and would give this a 10/10.

Luncheon Pork Dipped In Eggs and Fried
Now anyone can say that this is just the standard Ma Ling brand Luncheon Pork which has been sliced and fried but for me, it was different. The difference here is the lack of greasiness in the meat. Do have a look at the same thing sold at other Chap Fun places. It would be greasy but this just did not look and taste so. Great skill in frying this. Again, I would rate it at 10/10 and that's solely for the frying skills. 

Ladies' Finger (Okra) Stir Fried With Belacan
This Ladies Finger stir fried with Belacan was another fantastic preparation. I think they had prepared the paste first and then added the Okra into it and not the other way around. The reason for saying so is simply because of the crispiness of the Okra even after cooking. Even the Belacan paste had evenly spread to the entire preparation. Spicy and crunchy and not a single moment where I could taste the oil. A healthy way to prepare this dish and it was so tasty. It would only be fair if I give this a 10/10. 

Pork Chops
These Pork Chops were the highlight of my meal. It was so good! In fact, this was the most expensive part of my meal. Each slice was priced at RM 2.00 but, it was truly worth it. It was so juicy and tender and I could taste honey. I went over to the lady boss asking her how they prepare their Pork Chops and she was so kind to bring me to the kitchen and show me. Guess what? They were marinating tomorrow's Pork Chops this afternoon. No wonder it was so good. It is kept marinated for almost 20 hours. Besides that, I also saw them adding bottles of Tiger Beer to this. Now that explains how the meat was so tender. This for sure was an amazing piece of meat and I wouldn't even mind giving this a 20/10. That fabulous it was!

If you happen to be on this side of town, don't miss out this place. If not for anything else, at least for their Pork Chops. They were just divine!

Address: No. 20-7, Jalan Pahang, 53000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 1430  (Closed On Sundays)

1 comment: