Thursday 22 September 2016

Restoran Corner Tomyam @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Restoran Corner Tomyam isn't a new restaurant. It has been around for years now. Located on the Selangor side of town, this restaurant is right beside the famous Cendol Pulut Behrang, Tanjung Malim outlet, just alongside the village route to Escot Estate. Despite it's long existence, I have never seen a large crowd at this restaurant as I tend to pass this way almost daily and on the flip side, there has never been a moment where they have not had customers. At any point in time, there would be at least two or three tables that are occupied. I did ask around with some of my friends and I got some very interesting feedback. The majority said that it depends on the mood of the lady boss. If she's in a good mood, then the food would be good. Otherwise, it would perhaps be the worst meal that one has had. This feedback was one that I had least expected. That was when I thought that I should also give it a try just to experience it myself and I was hoping that it would turn out to be a good experience. 

Inside The Restaurant
The place is rather simple. A small indoor dining area and a larger outdoor space. There's ample of parking space in front of this restaurant and so that solves the parking problem. Just an elderly Kelantanese couple that run's this eatery along with their teenage children that help occasionally when they are done with their school work. Cleanliness is good and there's a TV as well. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
Despite there being just a handful of customers, it did take them a while before attending to us. The look on the lady boss's face wasn't too pleasant and that gave me an indication that today was going to be a rather painful dining experience. Since we were already here, we decided to just proceed and have whatever that was served. Their menu was quite comprehensive and they had all the dishes that we would normally find in a similar restaurant. The prices too were equally reasonable. We already knew what we wanted to have and so it didn't take us too long to place the orders. With that, she disappeared into the kitchen without saying another word.  

Ayam Masak Merah @ RM 4.00
Ayam Masak Merah was the very first dish to arrive. For RM 4.00 , I felt that the portion was small. Just look at the amount of chicken bits. Way too little. And taste wise, it was really off. Clearly she had cut short on the ingredients and the base sauce seemed very watery and lacked the required flavours. Should I be surprised? Well, we had already guessed how this would be even at the time of placing our orders and so, it wasn't a surprise at all. We just looked at each other and smiled. As for this dish, I would give this a 5/10 rating. 

Telur Dadar @ RM 1.20
Telur Dadar wasn't that great either. I just hate it when it comes soaked in oil and this happened to be exactly that. That greasy feel generally tends to kill the taste especially when it had been friend using recycled oil. I would only give this a 5/10.

Kailan Ikan Masin @ RM 4.00
Kailan Ikan Masin was also a so so dish. The good thing was that the veggies were fresh. The setback was the watery sauce and the lack of salt fish. In fact, I never tasted any traces of salt fish in that sauce or did I even discover one small lump of it among the veggies. Another let down and I would only give this a 4/10.

Chicken Tomyam Soup @ RM 4.50

A Few Pieces Of Chicken Was Sighted In The Soup
As expected, the Chicken Tomyam Soup was another disappointment. Five or six small bits of chicken were added for namesake along with a handful of mushrooms. Otherwise, the soup didn't taste anywhere close to Tomyam but tasted something like a herbal soup.This I shall only give it a 4/10. 

In summary, it was a total waste of money. The food was cheap but taste wise, it was really bad. Now I am really wondering how they have survived this long. I guess most of their customers don't really return and they must be surviving solely because of UPSI, which is the university in Tanjung Malim. I doubt there would be customers returning to this restaurant after being served this kind of food. I for sure am not going back ever again. 

Address: No. 1, Lot 4802, Jalan Escot, Hulu Bernam, 35900 Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1800 - 0200 Daily

Telephone: +6012 225 3187 

No comments:

Post a Comment