Wednesday 12 October 2016

Rojak & Cendol Tiga Rasa (Cendol Taman Wahyu) @ Taman Wahyu, Kuala Lumpur

The name Rojak & Cendol Tiga Rasa may be alien to most people but this place is also famously known as Rojak & Cendol Taman Wahyu. Located along Jalan Kuching just before the recently constructed overhead bridge heading into 5th Mile Jalan Ipoh, this humble set up receives a few hundred customers daily and their only two dishes would be Cendol and Rojak. I have passed this way so often and have always found the place to be packed with customers. In fact, just another 50 meters away, there is another truck selling the same but when you compare the number of customers at any point in time, the latter is nowhere close to these guys. Since I had some extra time at my perusal, I decided on dropping by and giving the place a try. 

A Simple Truck Parked By The Side Of The Road

Cutlery In Tupperware's To Keep Them Clean From The Dust
They operate from just a small truck but I was very impressed with the set up and here's why. It wasn't like any other Rojak & Cendol truck set up. They had cleared up the entire place and set up tents with 15 tables. That shows the volume of customers they get on a daily basis. Even today when I walked in, there were close to 40 customers who were having their meals and that doesn't include those who were standing while waiting for their takeaways. Besides that, they have a staff count of 7 people to serve their customers and that's excluding the 3 staffs who were preparing the dishes. Another strong indication that the place is doing so well. Any other Rojak truck would at most have 2 people manning it. Besides this, the entire place is fenced up with a special gate for customers who are accessing via Jalan Kuching. This saves a lot of time for their customers who alternatively would need to get into Taman Wahyu and only then get to access this stall. What a presence of mind. Another thing that impressed me was the cutlery. They were all placed in tupperware's to keep them dust proof. As far as the customer service was concerned, they were super quick. As you walk in, there's already someone beside you waiting to take the orders. 

Rojak @ RM 4.00

Typical Malaysian Rojak
Their Rojak was pretty good and for RM 4.00, the portions were huge and they never were stingy with the ingredients. Even the Tofu and cake was added in abundance. The gravy was medium coarse just the way I love it. Mildly sweet and mildly spicy, it was just a perfect plate of Rojak and I would give this a 8/10. 

Cendol @ RM 2.50

This Is Their Basic Cendol
A basic bowl of Cendol is priced at RM 2.50 and this comes with corn, red bean and kidney beans. Of course you could go for additional add on's like pulut etc. and the price varies accordingly. Their Cendol was beautiful. Not too sweet, creamy and perfect for the hot afternoon. I would give this a 9/10. 

In summary, this is definitely a great pit stop to make when you're travelling on Jalan Kuching. Both their Cendol and Rojak were good and the prices were very reasonable. On another note, here's something that had happened after my stop here. Well, it was my first time to this stall and I don't really know the place too well. Sadly, my car couldn't start as I was trying to leave as the starter motor was giving trouble. I then walked over to one of the staffs and asked if there was a mechanic nearby to which he said there's one which is around 4 KM's away. I just came back to my car and tried making a few phone calls and that was when the owner himself walked over to us. He then asked us what the trouble was and then offered to drive his car up to the mechanic's place and he really did that. He left and in a matter of minutes, was back with a mechanic. After checking, it was just a wiring issue that connects to the starter motor and the mechanic only charged me RM 10.00 . And then, this owner drove him back to his workshop and returned. I offered him some money but he refused to accept. Well, that is so kind of him and I felt that I must at least mention about his kindness here. I doubt any one else would have done the same. I was not even his frequent customer and he offered to go out of the way to help. Well, now I have surely become his loyal customer and going forward, I would definitely make a stop at this place every time I pass this way. Not just for the great Cendol but also to show my gratitude for his act of kindness. Thank you Sir!

Address: Taman Wahyu, 68100 Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 1800 Daily

1 comment: