Wednesday 29 March 2017

Melur Cafe @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

I am not really a fan of Boat Noodles but that seems to be the trend these days with so many new outlets selling the same mushrooming all over the Klang Valley and the best part is that all of them seem to be doing well. I guess there must be a huge portion of the younger generation that really enjoy that dish. What took me by surprise is that we now do have Boat Noodles in Tanjung Malim as well. Having heard that, I decided to drop by this evening. 

Melur Cafe Located Along Jalan U1/1, Taman Universiti

Just Half A Shop

Simple But Trendy Decor
It seems that this cafe has been around for a while now but it's just that I have come to hear about them only recently. They are located in Taman Universiti which is just the right place for this kind of business since that age bracket is their target customers. This cafe is right beside 7 Eleven and they occupy half a shop lot. The front portion is their drinks bar, the center area is the dining spot and they have a small enclosed kitchen at the back. 

The Menu










They do have a very fascinating menu. A blend of cuisines are available and they were reasonably priced. Right from Thai food to Malay food and even Western dishes, they seemed to be perfectly tailored for the youth segment. 

Teh O @ RM 1.90
It was a cool rainy night and this hot tea seemed like the perfect drink. They do have a number of coffee and tea varieties and this extends to a host of other drinks as well. The tea that I had was the Lipton Tea Bags and it was mildly sweetened which is just to my liking. 

Soup & Chicken Ball Boat Noodles @ RM 1.90


It didn't take long for the Boat Noodles to arrive. There's only two varieties of Boat Noodles here, Soup & Chicken Balls and Tomyam & Chicken Balls. Both are priced at RM 1.90 per bowl which is rather reasonable. The first one that I tried was the Soup & Chicken Balls Boat Noodles. Portions were decent as this is how this dish is supposed to be. Pretty much a scoop or two should empty the bowl. The Chicken Balls were tasty. I am not sure if this is the off the shelf ones or they make it on their own but it tasted good. The soup however was quite bland which wasn't to my liking. They had also added ground peanuts and that gave it a nice crunch. If I were to rate this dish, I would give it 5/10. 

Tomyam & Chicken Balls Boat Noodles @ RM 1.90


Ingredients wise, this Tomyam & Chicken Ball Boat Noodles was an exact replica of the earlier dish except that it came in Tomyam Soup. This soup was way better compared to the earlier one. Rich in flavours and it leaves you a mild sting. Loved it! I would rate this at 7/10. 

Two Bowls Done
Well, if I was to eat this alone, I'd probably do 20 bowls but since I wanted to try their Chicken Chop as well, I stopped at 2. 

Grilled Chicken Chop @ RM 10.90
Grilled Chicken Chop was priced at RM 10.90 and it came with some fries and salad on the sides. By right, it should have come with mashed potatoes instead of fries, I guess they must have run out of those.

Pleasantly Delicious
Firstly, the portion was reasonable for the price. In fact, I was very happy with the portions. The chicken was grilled to perfection and it was topped with a mix of sauces. I think, and again this is just a guess based on the taste, it's a combination of mushroom and black pepper sauce which turned out to be really good. 

Fries And Salad
The Fries were perfect as well but the salad was rather simple. But I understand, for the price we definitely cannot complain. Overall, I enjoyed this dish. In fact, I enjoyed it more than the Boat Noodles. As for this Chicken Chop, I'd give it a 8/10. 

Generally, this cafe has some decent food and they are sold at reasonable prices. I don't think I would come back for their Boat Noodles but the Chicken Chop was good. And for RM 10.90 , I think it's a pretty good deal. 

Address: Along Jalan U1/1, Taman Universiti, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1100 - 2100 (Mon - Sat)
                             Closed on Sundays

No comments:

Post a Comment