Wednesday 16 August 2017

Pudu Chan Fatt Wanton Mee @ Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya

After a 21 year gap, Pudu Chan Fatt Wanton Mee which was once a very famous stall in Pudu Market is back in action in Damansara Utama. Being a fan of Wantan Mee, I was very excited when I heard about this and decided to pay them a visit as soon as possible. They had started their business in Uptown sometime in June this year but due to the distance from where I am currently based, I only managed to visit them today.

The Restaurant Along Jalan SS 21/58

Lovely Design

Clean And Well Ventilated
This restaurant is located along Jalan SS 21/58 in Damansara Utama and they are open from 10 to 10 on weekdays and 9 to 5 on weekends. The place was simple with lovely designs and I was amazed with the level of cleanliness. 





Their menu is quite straight forward. It starts with a lovely introduction on their past and how they had started the stall in Pudu Market . From there, it goes on to the dishes which basically revolves around their Egg Noodles (Wantan Mee), their Char Siew, Sui Gau and Steamed Chicken. Prices are obviously no longer market prices and that's understandable since this is a chic looking restaurant in Damansara Utama which is one of those locations where you'd be paying premium rentals. 

Coffee @ RM 2.20
I found their coffee to be deep bodied and bold with minimal sugar which was just to my liking. If I were to compare this to the one's that we commonly get in cafe's, I would say that this was better. The price of RM 2.20 is definitely reasonable as well. My rating for this shall be 9/10. 

Char Siew Wantan Mee @ RM 7.30

Comes With Wanton In Clear Soup
Their Wantan Mee was very good and they were generous with the sauces. The springy egg noodles were just perfect and it was topped with fried lard. I chose to have this with their signature Char Siew. For those who do not like Char Siew, you could go with their Sui Gau as well. Coming back to the noodles, it was definitely good and I would rate it at 8/10. As for their Char Siew, it clearly didn't seem like the one's in their photographs and it seemed to have too much colouring. The taste was also very different. Perhaps, you would need to have an acquired taste to enjoy this. For me, the Char Siew itself was nothing great. My rating for the latter shall be 6/10. This set also comes with a small bowl containing some Wanton in clear soup. The Wanton was very good and it was reasonably fresh. For this, I would give 8/10. 

Sui Gau in Soup @ RM 7.20
I had also ordered a separate bowl of Sui Gau in clear soup just to have a go at it. The soup was good and the flavours were good. I am glad that they had not used much MSG as well. As for the Sui Gau, it was one huge Sui Gau and it did taste delicious. The meaty filling was very nice and the outer texture was just perfect. 8/10 would be my rating for this. 

My Bill
Having come back after a 21 year hiatus, Pudu Chan Fatt Wantan Mee is definitely a must visit restaurant for Wantan Mee lovers. Having started in June this year, they are now located in the busy locality of Damansara Utama. Their signature Wantan Mee was good and the Egg Noodles were springy and soft. Very generous with the sauces too. Another one that I would recommend here is their Sui Gau which was again delicious. Not forgetting their deep bodied coffee which again was one that I felt was better than many of those Kopitiam places. Parking is a problem here and my suggestion would be to visit them for lunch on weekends or dinner on weekdays. 

Address: 52G, Jalan SS 21/58, Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Business Hours: Mon - Fri 1000 - 2200
                             Sat - Sun  0900 - 1700

No comments:

Post a Comment