Tuesday 9 April 2013

Satay Kolumpo @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

This is an entry on a new restaurant that had started up in my hometown Tanjung Malim which is located in the southern tip of the state of Perak. The name of the restaurant is Satay Kolumpo but has got nothing to do with anyone or anything from Kuala Lumpur. The owner on this restaurant is my brothers classmate and I too know him since young. Gathering a few family members, he had started this restaurant here.

Satay Kolumpo in Tanjung Malim
This restaurant is located right next to the newly opened Old Town White Coffee outlet which is opposite the Klinik Kesihatan, once the district hospital. Business starts at 4 pm and his official opening hours are until midnight daily but due to the overwhelming response, he is mostly sold out by 10.30 pm. My brother used to tell me how good this satay is and he even used to brag that it is better than Satay Kajang Hj. Samuri and as I am here today, I would try it for myself and know the truth behind that statement.

Interior of the restaurant

The Owner Prepares The Satay Himself

Closer Look At The Satay
The offering here is quite simple. No menu cards whatsoever. They have Chicken & Beef Satay and Nasi Impit. As you can see from the above photographs, the restaurant is very basic in it's design and most of the business are take away's. Similarly, we also did a take away and as we know him well, we called before hand and placed our orders to be collected later. Sometimes, it can be quite a wait as he has a huge number customers. I was informed by him that he usually prepares around 2000 sticks per day and it is all sold out.

Chunky Chicken Satay @ RM 0.80 per stick
The Satay's are definitely thick and juicy. He also only uses lean meat and discards the fat. After trying his satay, I must admit that it is definitely better in terms of taste and quality than that of Satay Kajang Hj. Samuri. At 80 cents per stick, it is definitely worth it. I would rate his satay at 9.5/10 .

Peanut Sauce
The Peanut Sauce given also was thicker than the more diluted version that we get in Kuala Lumpur. It was more to the spicy side but slightly oily. I would rate his Peanut Sauce at 8.5/10 .

Nasi Impit @ RM 1.00 each

We also got some Nasi Impit to take away. His Nasi Impit was equally good. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Cucumber & Onions

Overall, I must say the reason he is doing well with his Satay is that he simply provides juicy and lean chicken meat at an excellent taste. Now, I am convinced that he truly sells 2000 sticks per day and that they are mostly sold out by around half past ten. I would strongly recommend this place to anyone.

Address: Lot 16448, Ground Floor, Jalan Slim, Batu 1,
                35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Telephone: +6019 5959 792

Opening Hours: 1600 - 0000 Daily (or until sold out)

No comments:

Post a Comment