Sunday 4 August 2013

Heng Hainanese Chicken Rice Balls @ Melaka Raya, Melaka

I have heard a lot about the Chicken Rice Balls that is found in Malacca but never got an opportunity to try it. As I am on an eating spree, I decided to try one such place which is located in Melaka Raya. This one is not the most famous one but again they had their fair share of supporters and good review on the internet.

Heng Hainanese Chicken Rice Balls in Melaka Raya

Their Opening Hours

Tables Placed on the Walkways too

Interior of the restaurant
This restaurant occupies two units. One being air conditioned and the other is just open air. Finding this restaurant is quite easy as it is located along the main trunk road of Melaka Raya. Outside the restaurant, a giant rooster displaying the opening hours is found.

The Menu
Their customers were mostly mixed and it was not limited to the Chinese only which I find to be a good sign. Business was really good and besides dine ins, there were loads of take away's happening. Seeing that I was unfamiliar with ordering here, the owners son came up to me and helped with the ordering as to what is good and recommended. Each part of the chicken was priced differently. I am not fussy with the part and so I just went for the breast. Having settled with the ordering which was a breeze, I just waited and within a few minutes the food was served. 

Roasted Chicken

Heavenly Chili Paste
They have both Steamed and Roasted Chicken. I am usually a steamed chicken lover but after observing that most people were having the roasted chicken, I decided for it too. They serve their own home made chili paste which was absolutely delicious. At some point, I was just having plain chili paste as I was immediately hooked onto it. I would strongly recommend to try their chili paste when you are here. My rating for this would be a perfect 10/10 .

Plum Juice @ RM 2.50
I was recommended to try their Plum Juice as I was told that it is a top seller. At first glance, it seemed like very diluted to me but when I drank it, it was really good. Not too sour, it was just the right balance of sourness and sweetness. Although the price per glass of RM 2.50 is slightly on the high side, it is still worth it. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Black Bean Soup with Chicken Feet @ RM 1.50
This again came as a recommendation by the owner's son. I must confess that their soup was really good. It was not on the sweet side and had a herbal taste to it which I really enjoyed. Adding the chicken feet into this soup was something that I felt was unique and surely added a touch of flavour to this. Overall, another must try dish here. I would rate this soup at 9.5/10 .

My Complete Lunch

Chicken Rice Balls @ RM 0.30 each
The chicken rice balls were really unique as I initially expected a normal tasting rice ball but these were really good and definitely tasted much better than the usual chicken rice. Priced at RM 0.30 each, you could choose the number of balls that you would want and though looking small, six balls pretty much filled me up. Just the ball with the Chili Paste was heavenly. I would rate these Chicken Rice Balls at 9/10 .

Roasted Chicken & Cucumber in Soy Sauce @ RM 5.00

Closer look at the Chicken
As mentioned earlier, I was not too fussy with the chicken part and just went with the breast which was the cheapest. Priced at RM 5.00 per portion, it came is a relatively large portion and with loads of cucumber. The chicken, was good too. It was juicy and packed with flavours. I would rate their chicken at 9.5/10 .

On the whole, this place seemed to serve some really good food and very reasonable prices. In my opinion, I do not think that I lost out by not going to the most famous one in Malacca as this place to me was good too. It is recommended to go early though as they usually run out rather fast.

Address: No. 536, Jalan Melaka Raya 10, Taman Melaka Raya,
                75000 Melaka, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0900 - 2000 Daily

Telephone: +606 283 6607 

3 comments: