Friday 16 August 2013

Vicchuda Tomyam & Seafood @ Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya

This has been a restaurant that I have been frequenting for many years now but have never blogged about it. Today, since I am visiting here again, decided to blog about this restaurant. Restoran Vicchuda Tomyam & Seafood has been around in Damansara Utama for a number of years now. It is located along the same row as CIMB Bank. 

Entrance to the Restaurant

Outside seating space 
This restaurant is run by Thai Muslims and therefore the food is Halal and is really good and cheap. This place is mostly full during dinner. Now it seems quite vacant as the time that I have come here today is almost 11 pm, yet there are still a few tables occupied for supper. Ordering here is quite straightforward. They have a very comprehensive menu and you just have to pick the items that you want. Do observe when the waitress takes the orders. She always would write them down in the Thai language which further proves that they are Thai nationals. Another good thing here is that the food is served extremely fast. You would most often get all your orders delivered at one go and at most it takes them only 15 minutes. 

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.20
I ordered the above Tea and it came at RM 1.20 . To me, the tea was nice and not overly sweet. I would rate the tea at 8/10 .

Fresh Orange @ RM 3.00
The Fresh Orange came at a very decent price of RM 3.00 which I find it to be quite cheap. The drink itself was quite pure and surely they would have used more than one orange. I would rate this drink at 8.5/10 .

Spice Sambal with Cucumber
The above came complimentary and I observed that they served this to all the tables that ordered rice with a number of dishes. This was a daring act for me as I knew that the sambal would be super spicy. I just dipped the cucumber mildly into the sambal and even then my tongue was already on fire but it was really nice. I would rate their sambal at 10/10 .

White Rice @ RM 1.20 per plate

Telur Bistik @ RM 4.00
The above is an egg dish called Telur Bistik. It is egg cooked with a number of other ingredients like minced chicken, green peas, corn, diced carrots, onions and is served in a slightly spicy and sweet sauce. This is one of my all time favourites when visiting this restaurant. It is like a must order dish as I like their preparation. I would rate this dish at 9/10 .

Udang Masak Pedas @ RM 5.00
The above dish is a prawn dish called Udang Masak Pedas which means Spicy Prawns Dish. Priced at RM 5.00, I feel that the dish was worth it bearing in mind the number of prawns in the dish. Although the name of the dish mentions that it is spicy, the spiciness was rather mild but nice. I would rate this dish at 9.2/10 . 

Kailan Ikan Masin @ RM 4.00
The above dish is basically Kailan with Salted Fish. This again is one of my favourite dishes at this restaurant. I like this dish to be really salty and the saltiness must come from the salted fish and that is exactly how it is prepared here. The Kailan too was rather fresh. I would rate this dish at 9.5/10 . 

Ayam Masak Merah @ RM 4.00
Although a number of the above dishes may seem to have the similar colour of the base sauce, they all taste differently. This in turn is slightly on the sweet side. The chicken chunks along with the onion strips really make a great combination to this dish and they bring out the dish differently. Do note that there are some bird's eye chillies and that does give an occasional spicy taste which is rather unique. I would rate this dish at 8.8/10 .

Mixed Tom Yam Soup @ RM 6.50
This was a very spicy Tom Yam soup and comes with an assortment of meat. This seems to be prepared more like the Lanna style of preparation which has it's origins in the northern Thailand. The southern Thailand style prepare their Tom Yam soup to be red in colour and the norther regions prepare their Tom Yam soup to be clear like the above. Nevertheless, this is one of the best Tom Yam soups that I have tasted outside of Thailand even when comparing to some of those boutique restaurants. I would rate this Tom Yam Soup at 10/10 .

On the whole, this is a great restaurant that gives you good food at a very cheap price and super fast service. It is definitely recommended by me. I do know that they have a number of other outlets in Sunway, Kota Damansara and Shah Alam but I am not sure if the taste is consistent. My favourite outlet is always their Damansara Utama outlet. 

Address: 24, Jalan SS 21/35, Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7722 3481

Opening Hours: 1100 - 0000 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment