Thursday 8 August 2013

Ole Sayang Nyonya Food @ Melaka Raya, Melaka

This was my last afternoon in Malacca for this trip and having tried a variety of food here over the past few days, the only thing that I did not do was to try a pure Nyonya restaurant and that was my target this afternoon. Once again, I started driving around Melaka Raya area and spotted this restaurant called Restaurant Ole Sayang which was right opposite Restaurant Keng-Dom which I had blogged about yesterday. 

Restaurant Ole Sayang in Melaka Raya

Old Fashioned Design
This restaurant is easy to sight as it is along the main road of Melaka Raya. It's traditional design and striking green colour is not one that can be easily missed. Parking is also easy here as there is a huge open air parking lot right behind this restaurant.

Interior of the Restaurant

Photographs of ancestors on the walls

Rice Crackers @ RM 1.00
Once I was inside the restaurant, I was shocked. Though from the outside it seemed so quiet, the restaurant was actually huge and it was filled with customers. I had to wait about 5 minutes before I got a table. The walls were beautifully designed and adorned with photographs of ancestors giving it a traditional Nyonya house feeling. At this point of observation, I also noticed that the Jalan Jalan Cari Makan team had visited and endorsed this restaurant. It is worth mentioning that this is a Halal restaurant. The moment we took our table, they served us a plate of rice crackers which was then charged at RM 1.00 which was again very reasonable. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
Their menu card was fairly simple. It was a single sheet of laminated paper but the variety was decent. All their food were purely Nyonya dishes and I had a good feeling about this place. Though randomly chosen, I think that I had selected the right restaurant to have lunch. Their prices also seemed to be very reasonable and affordable. Though they had a number of waiters serving the tables, order was only taken by one single person and she had a digital PDA style device which automatically sends the orders to the kitchen based on the table numbers. The only setback was that I had to wait until she was finished with three other tables before getting on to me. Otherwise, the ordering process was a breeze. 

Coca Cola @ RM 2.50

Barley @ RM 2.20
I had a Coke which came at RM 2.50 and my friend had a glass of Barley which came at RM 2.20 . The Barley was quite pure and it was not those instant dissolvable powders. This was the real Barley which is boiled and it was mildly sweetened. I would rate their Barley at 8.5/10 .

White Rice @ RM 1.50 per pax
The white rice came in the above rattan basket with banana leaf at the base. The rice was charged at RM 1.50 per pax and therefore the above was charged at RM 3.00 . I really liked the way they served the rice. Very authentic. 

Sambal Udang Petai @ RM 13.00
The first dish to arrive was the above Sambal Udang Petai and it came at RM 13.00 .  This was the small portion size which was good for us. The moment this dish was placed before us I was already salivating. The aroma from the dish was truly fantastic and it was evident that it had lots of belacan in it. The first taste of the prawns was absolutely heavenly. It was spiced to the right level which would be acceptable to most people. The prawns were very fresh and there were loads of petai in the dish. The sambal gravy too was given lavishly and it went very well with rice or even when eaten on it's own. A truly fantastic dish. I would rate this a perfect 10/10 .

Telor Cincaluk @ RM 8.00
If you look carefully at the thickness of the above eggs, you would know that it was loaded with Cincaluk and onions. This is the first time that I am trying this dish although I have heard a lot about it from my friends. I loved it. I absolutely loved this dish. It was fantastic. My score, would be another perfect 10/10 .

Ayam Pong Teh @ RM 13.00
This Ayam Pong Teh was another treat on it's own. The gravy made out of Tau Chu was really thick and lovely and the dish came with loads of chicken and potatos. I could go on and on drinking the plain gravy as it was so good. I have tried this dish in a number of places in Kuala Lumpur including some very high end restaurants who claim to be serving Nyonya food and at absolutely ridiculous prices, but this beat them all flat. And this dish came at a mere RM 13.00 which is really cheap. Another perfect dish here. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Tau Hoo Soup @ RM 12.00
This dish was nice too but it was not the best that I have tried. I must say that it was well prepared with loads of fish balls, fish paste, tofu and vegetables but the flavouring slacked just a little. Maybe this was not one of their signature dishes. I would rate this dish at 8/10 .

Cendol @ RM 2.50
The above Nyonya Cendol was again very good. It was filled with milk, brown sugar and other ingredients although it is not clearly seen here as they were all at the base and it has to be mixed well before being consumed. I really liked this cendol and would rate it at 9.5/10 .

Opening Hours

Address & Contact Details
On the whole, this restaurant was absolutely fantastic and I made a mental note to bring my parents here too someday, perhaps during our next trip to Melaka. The price is reasonably cheap, the food is excellent and the service was reasonably good. Definitely a highly recommended restaurant.

Address: 198 & 199, Taman Melaka Raya, 75000 Melaka, Malaysia.

Telephone: +606 2831 966 & +606 2834 384

Opening Hours: 1130 - 1430 & 1800 - 2130 (Closed on Wednesdays) 

No comments:

Post a Comment