Monday 30 September 2013

Hoofed @ Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Kuala Lumpur

Hoofed, a restaurant that is dedicated to Pork lovers, is located in the suburbs of Taman Tun Dr. Ismail in Kuala Lumpur. It is located along Lorong Rahim Kajai 14 where most of the famous pubs are located. This restaurant was started in the year 2010 by the same owners as the Tom, Dick & Harry Pub which is located on the Ground Floor and this restaurant lies on the First Floor. I have been here some years back and after a long time, am returning today to try out the food again. 

Hoofed Restaurant in TTDI, Kuala Lumpur just above the Tom, Dick & Harry Pub

The Side Entrance to the Restaurant

Dark but Beautiful Set Up

Lovely Deco
I was rather early here today. It was just minutes past six and the place just had another two tables which were occupied. Stepping in after all these years, I never realised that the place was actually this dark and that too as it's just past six in the evening. I wonder how it would look like when it's night. As always, their waiters are very friendly. I was greeted the moment I walked in and was ushered to my table. 

The Food Menu

The Food Menu

The Food Menu

The Drinks Menu

The Drinks Menu

The Drinks Menu
Here, they have three sets of menus, the Food Menu, Drinks Menu and Wine Menu. Do note that at any time, they have more than a 100 different wines being offered from vintage to common ones. Even their drinks menu was very elaborate with a great number of drinks being offered. For me tonight, I was just in the mood for food and hence just a soft drink would go well. That limitation of choice in soft drinks made my life easier as I did not have to flip pages after pages trying to decide what I wanted to have. The Food Menu was limited to the same dishes and I feel that it is time for them to expand the list further. This was further made evident by a number of customers who walked in with families knowing that it was a watering hole and yet asking if they served food and after going through the menu, they just walked out having been not satisfied with the food options available. That in itself should trigger a signal for them to improve the food options made available to diners. This trip too, I ordered the same dishes that I had ordered the last time as I quite liked them when I had tried them years ago.

Pineapple Juice @ RM 8.00
I chose the Pineapple Juice which was listed under the fresh juices section. From my observation, it was just off the fresh juice carton that is sold off the shelf but it was nice and for that the manufacturer should be commended, not Hoofed. I have known pubs where fresh juices are really fresh juices and they are prepared in front of you at the bar counter. 

Roasted Tomato Soup @ RM 7.00
Please do note that this is not the usual Tomato Soup and it is Roasted Tomato Soup. Both have a major difference and this is a more authentic preparation but would be enjoyed only by those who prefer the conventional way of making soups. For those who are used to the ones off the can which has preservatives and flavouring, then this would not be nice but I truly loved it. It was fresh, had loads of fiber in it and it was delicious. I would rate this soup at 9.2/10 .

Roast Pork Belly @ RM 17.90
Their Pork Belly is prepared differently from the traditional Chinese five spice treatment. Here it is marinated for a day in their very own secret sauce and roasted the next day resulting in a generous slice of cake rather than a hunk of meat. It also comes with Dijon Mustard and Garlic Mayonnaise for the dip sauce. Despite this being a very special preparation of theirs, this time around this did not taste as good as it did the last time. Surprised by the drop in quality, I would rate this at 7.5/10 . 

Pork Shoulder Chops @ RM 30.20

Comes With Mashed Potato
Their Pork Chops used to be one of the best in town. Here, the meat are all shoulder cuts which results in a firmer meat and not the usual soft meat that is found in other places. As for the meat, it was still well prepared today but the gravy was really off. It was flat and tasteless and I just do not know how to explain it and to put it simply, it was bad. I think after trying the new restaurants in Klang Valley for their Pork Chops, I would vote for Kennedys that is located in Sunway Damansara but it is sad that they had to close down two months back due to lack of support. I would rate this Pork Chop at 3.5/10 and it is all due to the gravy and not the meat. 

Sign That Greets You On The Way Out
On the whole, based on the dishes that I had tried tonight, the standard has dropped tremendously over the years. They seriously need to work on improving the quantity of dishes offered as well as the quality of dishes served in order to gain back their popularity and I am saying this in good faith as I had been one of those who voted for them as the best Pork Chop in town a number of years back. You guys have been there and I am sure that you would be able to get back there. Just need to get out of your present comfort zone, re-evaluate and improve and you'll be back on the top. 

Address: 18A, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7728 8567

Opening Hours: 1700 - 0000 Monday to Saturday
                            Closed on Sundays

No comments:

Post a Comment