Sunday 15 September 2013

Brilliant Nasi Lemak House @ Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya

Having been in the mood for some Nasi Lemak, I head into Damansara Utama to Village Park restaurant and it was only then that I realised that they close on Mondays. With that being the case, I was driving around in circles looking for an alternative place to have my dinner and that is when I came across this restaurant called Restaurant Brilliant Nasi Lemak House which was located on the far end of Uptown, close to Papa Rich Kopitiam. Looking from outside, there seemed to be a number of customers seated and also they had their menu on display outside the restaurant. Scanning through their menu, one particular item caught my attention, Pork Rendang Nasi Lemak and I thought to myself, this is definitely something that I must try. You don't get these kind of Nasi Lemak fairly often.

Restaurant Brilliant Nasi Lemak House in Damansara Utama

Interior of the Restaurant

Quite a decent crowd for early dinner
It was just 6 pm and already there was a decent crowd in the restaurant. Once I was in, I took my seat and the waitress attended to me. She handed me the menu and I asked her to return in a few minutes as I needed time to decide on the dishes.

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
The above are just a few pages from their menu. There definitely was a wide selection of food to choose from. Scanning around, most people seemed to be having only the Nasi Lemak and I did not see any other table ordering either their Chicken Rice or Noodle dishes. Anyway, I was attracted to come in because of their Nasi Lemak too and I decided to stick to that. I then went for the Nasi Lemak Pork Rendang, Fried Chicken Drumstick, Coffee and some snacks. 

White Coffee @ RM 2.50
Their White Coffee was quite decent in preparation. It had a deep coffee flavour to it and was lightly sweetened, just the way I like it. I would rate their coffee at 8.5/10 .

Nasi Lemak with Pork Rendang @ RM 8.20
To me, the ideal Nasi Lemak must come with fragrant coconut rice, crispy anchovies, crunchy peanuts, cucumbers, fierce sambal and a boiled egg. That's my ideal preference for any good Nasi Lemak. I would not comment on the Pork Rendang and Sambal here as I would comment on them in detail below. The rice, was rather mild. I felt that it was not fragrant enough and it would have been better if it was cooked with a little more coconut milk, of course that would have not been an healthy option but that is my preference. I am not suggesting that this was bad but all I am saying is that this could have been made better. The Anchovies were very crispy and the Peanuts were crunchy which is great. They provided two slices of cucumber and half of a boiled egg. There were options in the menu to add on any of these items but I just stuck with the standard. As for their basic Nasi Lemak excluding the gravy and Rendang, I would rate this dish at 8/10. 

Pork Rendang
The portion of the Pork Rendang was really lavish. The Rendang itself was on the mild side. I would have preferred it to be more robust in flavours and spices as that is how any Rendang should be. It should have also been a little drier and more concentrated. Nevertheless, to those that prefer the milder version, this would have been suitable. The Pork meat was very tender and well prepared which is a big plus point. Not many would excel in cooking pork to become this tender and that definitely takes a great skill. They have cut them to just the right size which helps in increasing the absorption of the gravy into the meat. Overall, it is a well prepared dish. I would rate this at 8.8/10 .

Sambal
The Sambal was wonderful. It was thick, super spicy and had nicely diced onions in them which together made it excellent. Nothing to comment on this except that it was fantastic. I would rate their Sambal at 10/10 .

Deep Fried Drumstick @ RM 6.20
As a side dish, I ordered the above Deep Fried Drumstick. Their drumstick was another dish that was excellently prepared. The spices were just right, deep fried to perfection and overall it was a great gastronomical delight. A highly recommended item here!!! I would rate this at a perfect 10/10 . 

Curry Chicken Puffs @ RM 4.80
This was an item that I took away and had back at home. Firstly, it was much smaller than it was in the menu. Four pieces of this at RM 4.80 means that each is priced at RM 1.20 . For the size, it is slightly expensive. They were all in the size of a single bite. A single bite is all it takes to have the full Curry Puff in your mouth and it's gone. Secondly, it's not Curry Chicken Puffs as claimed but it is Potato Curry Puffs. The Potato Curry however was nice and it had a full filling which was great. The skin too was not that hard but it was thick yet soft. The only setback was the smell of oil which made me a little uncomfortable but being bite size snacks, it was bearable. Putting this all together, I would rate their Puffs at 7.8/10 .

On the whole, this place is quite a good place to get some decent Nasi Lemak, especially when you are looking for non Halal Nasi Lemak. I am not sure how their other dishes would turn out to be but their Nasi Lemak's are definitely worth giving a try. 

Address: No. 56, Jalan SS 21/58, Damansara Utama, 
                47400 Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7732 2807

Their Other Branches:



Opening Hours: 0900 - 2100 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment