Wednesday 26 November 2014

Restoran Hou Xiang 60s Chee Cheong Fun @ Bandar Sri Damansara, Kuala Lumpur

I have been to this place a number of times now as I find that they serve some good variety of Chee Cheong Fun, moreover it is so close by to my place. Earlier today, was having a chat with my Dad on the varieties of Chee Cheong Fun that he had tried and suddenly remembered that I should bring here for dinner.

Entrance To The Restaurant

Indoor Seating Area

Indoor Seating Area

Food Preparation Counter
This place is located in Bandar Sri Damansara along Jalan Tanjung SD 13/2, the same row as the famous Thai Base restaurant, just a few doors before it. This place can seem a little lonely at nights but it is safe to park your car here. The benefit of it being lonely is that car parks are abundant. The front row which is facing the main road on the contrary is very busy and always jammed. Coming back to this restaurant, they are usually packed for breakfast and lunch and it is generally quiet at nights. Both indoor and outdoor seating is available here. The place also provides a strong Wifi signal for customers to use. 

The Menu

Chee Cheong Fun Variety

Chee Cheong Fun Variety

Chee Cheong Fun Variety

Chee Cheong Fun Variety

Chee Cheong Fun Variety

Chee Cheong Fun Variety

Yong Tau Fu Variety

Yong Tau Fu Variety

Other Available Items

Drinks

Drinks
Previously, there used to be seven varieties of Chee Cheong Fun available here but now, with the addition of the Anson style, which is the Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun, it has become eight. There is lots more food at offer here which I did not photograph. Having dined here numerous times, I kind of know the place well. I would only come here for their Chee Cheong Fun, some toasts and their Loh Mai Kai. All the others are just above average only. Their Yong Tau Fu is also not great. I will share the links from my previous visits at the end of this blog as that would enable you to see their other food items too. 

Order Check List
Ordering is done on a chit of paper like the Kopitiam style. Once you have ticked the items, just hand it over to any one of the waiters. He would then key in the items on the register and a check list like the above comes out. This is then placed on your table and every time an order is delivered, it is ticked off the list. This is good practice as no one can claim that a food item ordered had not been delivered. Usually the food here is delivered quite fast as they have quite a number of people who work on the orders simultaneously.

Chinese Tea @ RM 1.00
All the cutlery used are the enamel type. My Dad ordered the above Chinese Tea and it was priced at RM 1.00 . Slightly on the pricey side, but it was concentrated. I would rate their Tea at 8.5/10 .

Coffee @ RM 3.50
They have both the Local Coffee and White Coffee here. I have tried both before and they are equally good. Tonight I was in the mood for some local coffee and as always, it was perfect. I would rate their coffee at 9.5/10 .

Soy Sauce Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4.20

Soy Sauce Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4.20
Tonight, we ordered a few varieties of Chee Cheong Fun which we shared between us giving my Dad an opportunity to try a few types. The first to arrive was the Soy Sauce Chee Cheong Fun. This came soaked in Soy Sauce with some pickled green chilies on the sides. There was also some dried onions and shrimps which were sprinkled on the top. It tasted good and I would say that the preparation was nice. I would rate this at 8.2/10 .

Ipoh Style Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4.50

Ipoh Style Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4.50
This is not the usual Chili Sauce type that you get in Kuala Lumpur but a slightly sweet and spicy sauce that is specifically found in Ipoh. You have to mix them up thoroughly before serving. It was good and almost similar to the type that you get in Ipoh. Basing my judgement on what I have tried in Ipoh, I would rate this at 9/10 . Recommended here!

Anson Style Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 6.50

Anson Style Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 6.50
This preparation is unique to Teluk Intan (Teluk Anson) and the preparation here is almost perfect. This is stuffed Chee Cheong Fun with Pork, Yam and Onions and is dipped into the Soy Sauce lightly giving it a slight salty taste. I definitely loved this preparation. I would rate this at 9.3/10 . Another must try dish here!

Fish Cake @ RM 2.80

Fish Cake @ RM 2.80

Fish Cake @ RM 2.80
Besides the Chee Cheong Fun,  my Dad wanted to try one of their Yong Tau Fu items just to taste it and we ordered the above Fish Cake. The Fish Cake was nice, though definitely pricey when compared to it's size. The same could perhaps be found in other Yong Tau Fu restaurants at just RM 1.++ . Taste wise, the Fish Cake was decent, slightly thick skin yet soft and juicy on the inside. The inside also tasted sweet and juicy but had traces of additives in it. The clear soup was horrible, diluted and nowhere up to acceptable standards. As a dish, I would only rate this at 6.5/10 .

Enamel Plates Used

The Bill
As mentioned earlier, this place is good for their Chee Cheong Fun, some of their toasts, Loh Mai Kai and coffee. Other items are just so so though some of their other drinks are pretty good. I remember just last week when I was here and I ordered their House Specialty Curry Mee and what they served me was Magee Curry which was a major let down, at that too at RM 8 if I am not mistaken. Do come here if you wish to try the items mentioned in the first line above, the rest are just so so.  If you wish to read my blogs from my previous visits here, please do click on the links below:

http://venoth.blogspot.com/2013/11/hou-xiang-chee-cheong-fun-bandar-sri.html

http://venoth.blogspot.com/2014/03/restoran-hou-xiang-bandar-sri-damansara.html

Address: No. 17, Jalan Tanjung SD 13/2, Bandar Sri Damansara, 52200 Kuala Lumpur.

Telephone: +603 6732 5260

Email: houxiang.cfg@gmail.com

Opening Hours: 0830 - 2145 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment