Wednesday 4 March 2015

Mohd Yaseen Nasi Kandar Pulau Pinang @ Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Kuala Lumpur

I believe that there are a handful of good Nasi Kandar places in town that still serve authentic Penang Nasi Kandar at very reasonable prices and this place is definitely one of them. Mohd Yaseen Nasi Kandar has been at the very same location along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman for more than 40 years now. This is a place that I used to visit often before and as my workplace has moved elsewhere, coming here has been a problem. After about 10 years, I am visiting the restaurant again. 

Mohd Yasseen Nasi Kandar Along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman

The Restaurant

Old School Design

Air Conditioned Dining Space
The restaurant has changed quite a bit. Previously, they used to operate only in a single shop lot and now, there is another shop space that has been taken over and converted to a high class air conditioned dining area. The signage has also been changed and apparently there is a change in the name too. Previously, this used to be Mohd Yaseen Nasi Kandar but now, their signage shows Mohd Yaseem Nasi Kandar. Not sure if it was an error or a deliberate change as even their stationery follows the latter. Anyway, I have maintained this blog title with the name Mohd Yaseen Nasi Kandar as that is the original name and would ease anyone looking for a review on this place. 

Quite A Bit Of A Queue
I was here at sharp 1 pm and at this lunch hour, there was quite a queue at the restaurant. I could clearly see Kudu Bin Abdul from this restaurant as it is merely a few doors away and the queue there was much longer than this, perhaps thrice the length. Perhaps the food is better there, I am not sure but I definitely plan on visiting that place too sometime next week. Well, I too took position at the end of the line to pick up my lunch items. The queue wasn't too long and it moved fairly quickly. 

Some Of The Food Items

Some Of The Food Items

Some Of The Food Items

Waiter Busy Serving Customers

More Food Items
They had a good spread and all the items looked good. It is also good that they have put up a glass panel separating the food area and the lines as this ensures better hygiene. The waiter was very fast in clearing the crowd and there was more and more back up stock of food lined up along the table behind him. I guess as the trays become empty, he just has to turn back and refill the trays with the freshly prepared food. 

Staff Writing The Bill

Prices Of Food Items

My Bill For Food And Drinks
I selected my food items and then carried my plate onwards to the next guy, who then sums up the price and writes them down on a chit.  At this place, I also placed my drink orders and the price for that too had been added to this chit. This chit would be what we would be producing to the cashier when checking out later. It is also good that the price list of all the items are displayed as that would avoid any form of confusion and possible arguments on the price charged. 

Teh O Ice @ RM 1.30
I did not go into the air conditioned area as I preferred to sit at the older one which gave quite a nostalgic feeling to the place. Within minutes, my drink was served. I ordered a glass of Teh O Ice and it was priced at RM 1.30 which is a very reasonable price. The drink was good and I would rate it at 9/10 .

My Lunch @ RM 12.40

My Lunch @ RM 12.40
My lunch was priced at RM 12.40 which I felt to be a very good deal. I took some Cabbage, Steamed Lady's Finger, Omelette, Kicap Chicken and Black Pepper Mutton. For all these items, the price charged is definitely a very reasonable one. 

Mixed Curries
As always, I went for their mixed curries, typically a dash of everything there to go with my rice. No one would be able to identify what these curries were once mixed like this but they surely tasted good. I would say that they tasted good, but in comparison with Sithique in Brickfields, the latter definitely tasted better. For these, I would rate them at 8/10 .

Steamed Okra
These were just okay, in fact I didn't quite like them. The Okra too did not look too fresh. Could have definitely done without this. I would rate this at 2/10 only. 

Cabbage Perattal
Their Cabbage Perattal was okay and prepared according to the Indian Muslim style. Not great, as I have definitely tried better ones. Just average only. I would rate this at 6.5/10 .

Omelette
Their Omelette however was good and it was fried with Onions and Chilies. Had a slight oily aftertaste but went perfectly well with the rice and curries. I would rate this at 7.8/10 .

Kicap Chicken
Their Kicap Chicken was fantastic, in fact it was the best that I have tried among all the Nasi Kandar joints in town. A huge chunk of chicken cooked in Sweet Soy Sauce the traditional way. A perfect preparation. Even the Kicap was lavish and tasted so good. One that I thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon. I would rate this at 9.7/10 . Highly recommended here!

Black Pepper Mutton
Besides Chicken, I also had a huge cut of Black Pepper Mutton. The meat was so tender and the Black Pepper marination was fantastic. The cut was lean and without any fats. I enjoyed this one too but it was not an outstanding dish like the earlier Kicap Chicken. I would rate this at 8.5/10 . 

Cashier

Closed At Specific Time For Friday Prayers

Contact Details
Overall, my lunch today was good but not great. The vegetables were just so so, the mutton and their curries were good and the Kicap Chicken was fantastic and a winner among all the items tried today. The prices however are still very reasonable when compared to the 'new' big boys like Pelita and Kayu. If compared between places like Kayu and Pelita, I would still prefer this but when compared to Sithique in Brickfields, then the latter wins. Would I return? Of course I will but not often. The Kicap Chicken is a sure winner and whenever I am in the mood for that, this would be my first choice.

Address: No's. 351 & 353, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman,  50100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 2694 8927

Opening Hours: 24 Hours Daily (Closed Between 1300 - 1420 Every Friday)

Email: mynkjalal0714@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment