Friday 11 September 2015

Di Naina Nasi Kandar @ KL Sentral, Kuala Lumpur

Due to timing and the need to switch trains heading to Kajang, my brother and I decided on having dinner in Kuala Lumpur Sentral this evening. I have tried some of the outlets here but not all. He was in the mood for some Indian food. I would have loved to suggest to just walk in to Brickfields but due to the time constraints, we had to have dinner here.

The New Food Court

One Of The Anchor Tenants

Decent Selection Of Nasi Kandar

Split Level Seating Area
If you are in KL Senteal, this new food court called My Foodloft is located on the Ground Floor, just beside the KTM Komuter entrance. It would be very hard to miss this place. There are a number of stalls here, a few of which I have tried and some are quite good. It was sad to notice that one of the places that I had loved and blogged about just a few months back is no more. When enquired, I was told that business was bad and they had do shut down. That was really sad to hear as the food there was good and very reasonably priced. There is only one Indian Muslim outlet here and they are Di Naina Nasi Kandar. Their main place of business is in Kota Damansara, just walking distance from my place and I was glad to see them here. They occupied a very large space here making them the anchor tenant at this food court. They were mainly selling Nasi Kandar style food and along with that, they had Mee Goreng, Murtabak and other usual dishes that we get at such restaurants.

Menu

Menu
After having gone through their menu, I was in shock. Their prices here are sky high. RM 7.50 for a very small piece of Fried Fish and RM 9.00 for a Murtabak that was just the size of my palm. The pictures here in their menu are for illustration only and have no resemblance to the actual sizes. If I were to eat here bearing in mind my eating style, it would easily cost me RM 50.00 . I decided to skip dinner and perhaps have a late meal later once we arrive in Kajang. My brother however was too hungry and he for one, is not able to suppress hunger. So, he ordered his usual Coca Cola and a plate of Mee Goreng. Once the order was placed, one would have to go to their counter and pay first and the food items would be sent over once ready. That's quite a standard practice in any food court. 

Coca Cola @ RM 3.00

Hungry Face Of My Brother
Wow! For RM 3.00 , I could buy a large bottle of Coca Cola outside. No choice, we just had to bear with it. If only I had time, I would have taken him to a good Banana Leaf Meal place in Brickfields which is merely a 10 minute walk from here.

Mee Goreng @ RM 5.50

Wet Style Of Preparation

Comes With A Lime
It was just a 10 minute wait and the Mee Goreng was sent over. Priced at RM 5.50 per plate, the portion was good. Thank God we had ordered this instead of Murtabak or even Rice and Curry. It was the wet style Mee Goreng and it was made spicy. Yes, this was quite spicy and would not be suitable to those that cannot tolerate very spicy food. Taste wise, it was just above average. If I were to compare this to the ones that we get in Tanjung Malim, then this preparation would equal to those restaurants that I would avoid as for me, this isn't really good when compared to the excellent ones in town. Coming back to this, it was prepared with very little Chili Paste, more sauces and diced bird eye chilies. Pretty much just that. And yes, it had quite a lot of MSG as having tasted just a mouthful, I was consistently feeling thirsty after that. Taste wise, I would rate this at 7/10 . Not great but can eat if you're hungry.

Overall, based on this dish alone, it was just above average. Prices however were okay for the noodles but exorbitant for the Nasi Kandar and Murtabak. Would I return? Maybe.....just maybe!

Address: My Foodloft, KL Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2300 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment