Wednesday 16 September 2015

Indian Food Stall In Kedai Kopi Hup Hing @ Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur

I was around Jalan Pahang this morning for an appointment. As I had arrived rather early, I wanted to have breakfast at one of those restaurants. As I was walking on the opposite side of Kuala Lumpur General Hospital, I sighted this Chinese coffee shop that was having a number of stalls and this particular Indian Food Stall caught my attention. Usually, little known stalls like these serve some excellent food and being curious, I walked in to the restaurant.

The Coffee Shop Along Jalan Pahang

Not Too Far From Grand Seasons Hotel

On The Right, You Would See This Building

View From The KL GH Bus Stop

The Indian Stall

Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian Dishes

Simple Set Up
There were three main stalls here. The owner's runs the drinks and Chinese Mixed Rice stall. There is another Wan Ton Noodles stall and followed by this Indian Food stall. It was practically breakfast time as I was here around 10 am. The coffee shop is one of those old structures that was perhaps built in the 1950's but the place was clean though a little messy with the arrangement of chairs and tables. Most of them were having the Wan Ton Noodles and that looked very good too but being an Indian food fan, I decided to give this stall a try instead. The lady, one who is perhaps in her early 30's does the cooking herself. She's here at this restaurant as early as 8 am and cooks all the dishes right here itself. None are brought from home and the dishes are mostly ready by around 10 pm. Of course, you tend to get more variety towards 12 noon but what was available seemed sufficient for me. Even she was a little surprised as I was having rice and curry at this hour. The lady that I am mentioning is seen the in last photograph above. A very pleasant personality and is humble and friendly. She was actually busy in the kitchen and one of the restaurant helpers called her over to serve her very first customer for the day which is none other but me. Vegetarian and non vegetarian items are segregated accordingly. If I am not mistaken, even at this hour, there were roughly ten vegetarian dishes that were prepared and many more to come. She goes for variety but the quantity of each seems limited. Perhaps they are sufficient for her daily business volume. Do note that she's only open till around 2.30 pm or 3 pm depending on business for the day. No breakfast items, unless you're wanting to eat rice and curry at this hour like me. Strictly caters for lunch only.


My Breakfast @ RM 8.00

My Breakfast @ RM 8.00
She has both the common White Rice and Par Boiled Rice. My meal comprised of Rice, Thanichaar, Sambal Fish, Chicken Varuval and some spicy Prawn and Potato Sambal. All this for just RM 8.00 . I think it's a pretty good deal.

Thanichaar
Very much home cooked food taste. The Thanichaar was excellent and I am sure that you can pick that up from the above photograph. The spices were perfect and it was just so good. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Sambal Fish
This was another lovely preparation. Mild to moderate spicy and the cut was a decent sized one. Very tasty it was. Moreover, it was very evident that she grinds her chili paste herself and not use those ready made ones. Delicious! I would rate this at 8.8/10 .

Chicken Varuval

Chicken Varuval
Just like the earlier ones that I tasted, this Chicken Varuval too did not fail to impress me. Tender chunks of chicken were cooked in a potpourri of spices and they were finger licking good. I would rate this at 9/10 . 

Spicy Prawn & Potato Sambal

Spicy Prawn & Potato Sambal
These Prawn and Potato Sambal were lip smacking spicy and divinely tasty. Truly the winner for the day. It has been a very long time since I tasted Prawn Sambal that was this good. I would highly recommend this preparation. Amazing is the word! I would rate this at 10/10 . 

Local Coffee @ RM 1.60
After having had a wonderful meal, I ordered a cup of Local Coffee to wash down my meal and this was priced at RM 1.60 per cup. I didn't feel that it was pricey as the preparation was very good. Savoured every sip of it. I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

I would deem myself very lucky to have stumbled upon this place today. Delicious food and very reasonable prices. If you happen to be in this area, please do give this place a try and don't forget to give her Prawn Sambal a try. Just amazing food!

Address: No. 20-7, Jalan Pahang, 53000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 1500  (Closed On Sundays)

No comments:

Post a Comment