Wednesday 23 September 2015

Jenun Char Kuey Teow @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Yesterday, I saw a post of Facebook about this newly opened Char Kuey Teow Basah joint located along Jalan Ketoyong, Tanjung Malim and being a fan of that dish, I decided to check them out this evening. 

Jenun Char Kuey Teow Stall

Almost Towards Kampung Ketoyong

Right In Front Of SKTM

Drinks Stall On The Right

Burger Stall On The Far Left

Satay Too

Nasi Lemak Comes From This House
Glad that the Facebook post gave an accurate location information and I was able to find it easily. This outlet is located almost near Kampung Ketoyong, directly opposite Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanjung Malim. Not difficult at all to find this place. The structure itself is very new and the owners have spent quite a bit on the set up as well as the furniture. The upkeep also seemed immaculate and clean. I think the owners are the people living in the house beside as this structure is built on their very own land, facing the road. Besides Char Kuey Teow, this very stall also sells Ais Batu Campur, Laksa, Keropok Lekor but I believe that this Char Kuey Teow Basah is their signature dish. For those who are not familiar, this is not to be confused with the Chinese style Char Kuey Teow. The Malay style is prepared very wet with eggs, clams and some prawns and it's a very soggy dish somewhat similar to the Cantonese style of preparation. Also available were a stall selling Burgers which turned out to be one who was my brother's ex classmate and he immediately recognised me. There's also a Satay stall but this guy takes a while to set up and is only ready for business from 7 pm onwards. For your information, this place operates from 6 pm till 2 am daily. The landlords also prepare freshly made Nasi Lemak and this comes prepared from the house. 

Teh O Ais @ RM 1.50
All the people here were very friendly and they greeted me with a smile when I arrived. I then placed my drinks order and this was served in a matter of minutes. Drinks are prepared by the stall that is located on the far right, and I believe that that stall belongs to the owners. One doesn't need to register orders individually at the relevant stalls as they all cooperate closely with one another. As for the drinks, it's surely decently priced and I would say that it was a fairly good preparation. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Char Kuey Teow Basah @ RM 4.00

Delicious!

Two Fairly Large Prawns

Bird Eye Chilies in Vinegar
They have Normal Char Kuey Teow which is the above as well as 'special' which comes with additional prawns. Being not a great fan of prawns myself, I decided to go for 'Biasa' and the Mak Cik got on with her cooking. Since I was early and one of the very first customers, I got my dish within 10 minutes and along with that, they served me a plastic jar with 'Jeruk' which are Pickled Bird Eye Chilies in Vinegar. The preparation was simply delicious and even this standard dish came with two relatively large prawns. For the price, I would say that it was a very satisfying dish. Served in a deliciously thick broth, it came with loads of eggs, clams and the portion of Kuey Teow was good too. I have tried four places in town that are quite famous for this dish and till date, this was the best preparation. Please do add the pickled chilies into the dish and that would simply boost the taste and tease your taste buds. The only remaining one that I have not tried would be Bro CKT at Lampu Neon Cafe which would definitely be my very next destination. As for the rating, I would definitely not hesitate to rate this at 9.5/10 . Let me repeat that for the Malay Style Char Kuey Teow Basah, this is the best that I have tried in town!

Hot Nasi Lemak @ RM 1.00

Yummy!

Delicious Sambal

Rice Was Tasty Too
Having seen the hot Nasi Lemak being delivered from the house, I was tempted to try this too and I picked up a packet. It was priced at RM 1.00 per pack and the contents were super hot. The presentation may seem mediocre but trust me, the aroma was simply seductive. This came with a good portion of coconut milk rice, half a boiled egg, two slices of cucumber and some sweet and spicy Anchovies Sambal. Two things are key to the success of any Nasi Lemak. The taste of the rice and the other would be the sambal and both were amazing here. Absolutely loved it! Truly one of the best preparations in town. The rice was so creamy and tasty and the Sambal, gosh that was another treat. Together, they were just splendid. I would rate this Nasi Lemak at 9/10 . Definitely a recommended one!.

Overall, I am extremely delighted with this place. I am returning again to try their Satay and Burger. Would recommend this place to friends anytime without worry of being disappointed. I would wish them all the best and keep up the great work guys!

Address: Along Jalan Ketoyong (Opposite SKTM), 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1800 - 0200 Daily

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you :) Do give them a visit if you are in this part of town please. Pretty good actually. :)

      Delete
  2. The jenun char kuey teow has been changed their location at no9A jalan bahagia 1, taman pelangi, tanjung malim in front of D'SINAR minisupermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I realised recently too that they were no longer at the previous place. Thank you again for informing the present location.

      Delete
  3. Place where got wooden surau, is it kampong ketoyong?

    ReplyDelete