Thursday 17 September 2015

Srri Tanjung Curry House @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Srri Tanjung Curry House is a name that needs no introduction to anyone coming from Tanjung Malim. Having started just a few years back, this restaurant has picked up so fast and today is the leading Tamil restaurant in town. Business has been very good and today they have two restaurants in Tanjung Malim. This entry is about their first outlet that operates 24 hours daily and is located in Taman Anggerik Desa, right opposite the Thandayuthapani Temple in Tanjung Malim. The other restaurant only opens during the day and that is located along the old trunk road heading to Kuala Lumpur. I have done a number of entries on this restaurant before but never on their curries and this blog shall be solely about the rice and curries available here daily at nights. 

The Restaurant In Taman Anggerik Desa

Tandoori Chicken Is The Best In Town

Outdoor Seating With A Giant Screen

Indoors

Indoors

Iced Water @ RM 0.50
The place is packed with customers round the clock. At nights, tables are laid on the road as many of their customers seem to prefer to sit outdoors than indoors. Probably because it's much cooler outdoors. The Rice and Curry here is quite good and if you do some Google search, you should be able to find my old entries speaking about this and also their Chapatis and Green Mung Bean Curry. Another famous item here is their Tandoori Chicken which is just awesome. Do note that if you are coming solely for rice and curries, then it is best to come in the afternoon where you get a huge variety of vegetarian and non vegetarian items. Most of the non vegetarian items sell fairly quickly and come nights, only a handful of dishes are available. As I was a vegetarian today, I was okay with the selection that was available at night. Unfortunate it is as this is the only place that I would be able to get vegetarian rice and curries after 5 pm in Tanjung Malim. 

My Dinner @ RM 3.70

My Dinner @ RM 3.70

Total Meal Cost
Once I arrived, I checked out their curries and was quite satisfied with what was available. Of course, both vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes are separated accordingly and so this should satisfy those orthodox vegetarians. I ordered a glass of Iced Water and this was priced at RM 0.50 per glass. As for my meal, I had White Rice, Sambar, Puli Kulambu (Tamarind Gravy), Cabbage Perattal, Long Beans Perattal and some Snake Gourd Perattal and these cost me RM 3.70 . Decent? I think that it's a pretty good deal for Rice, two gravies and three vegetables.

Sambar
Their Sambar was good. It was the thicker preparation and came with some vegetables in it. Taste wise, it was quite good too. Not an outstanding preparation but surely good. I would rate this prepration at 8.5/10 .

Puli Kulambu (Tamarind Gravy)
This was excellent. Not the usual spicy version but this was a lighter and sour preparation that went excellently well with the rice. A different kind of taste that added a zing factor to the meal. Loved it! I would rate this at 9.3/10 .

Cabbage Perattal
A simple and common dish found in most Tamil restaurants. The preparation was decent and the cabbage was very fresh. That's real difficult to find these days in most Indian restaurants. Most of them serve some really stale stuff and this was truly an exception to the rest. I must congratulate them for serving such fresh vegetables. Taste wise, I would rate this at 7/10 .

Snake Gourd Perattal
Once again, another mix of vegetables that were very fresh. Not only were they fresh, they were tasty too without an overload of spices. Loved it! I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Long Beans Perattal
This Long Beans Perattal tasted more spicy then the rest of the vegetables tasted earlier. Good as each one of those vegetables that I tried very much contrasted in taste and that added a richness to my palate. Preparation wise, I would rate this at 8/10 .

Overall, a decent meal this was. Some were good and some were average in taste but none were bad. Decently priced too. The only slack here at this restaurant is their service. Staffs tend to waste time and I have seen this happen too many times. One thing that is strange here is that if you go here daily, they take you for granted and keep you waiting while serving the new or one off customers. Perhaps they are trying to win their hearts but they are surely pissing off the frequent comers like me. I hope that they would do something about this and perhaps value their strong supporters otherwise eventually, we would loose our patience someday and that is invariably a loss for them too.

Address: No. 25, Jalan Cahaya, Taman Anggerik Desa, 35900 Tanjung Malim, 
                Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 24 Hours Daily

Telephone: +6012 211 8044

No comments:

Post a Comment