Sunday 7 May 2017

Meng Kee Grill Fish @ Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur

Jalan Alor is a place that is most sought after by tourists when they are in Kuala Lumpur. In fact in most if not all of the guide books, this place is designated as a food heaven and a must visit place in Kuala Lumpur. There are easily hundred's of stalls here selling a variety of dishes but my favourite has always been Meng Kee and their seafood dishes. 



One major challenge here besides parking is finding a table to sit. Even navigating through the crowd can be a challenge at times. What you see in the above photographs is a typical evening along Jalan Alor. What I always do is try to park at the Church which is not too far from this lane. If you come round 10 pm onwards, then you should be able to get a bay there. 








The above are just a few pages from their menu. They have a huge compilation of dishes to offer, mostly seafood but their prices are touristy. Well, there's nothing much that you can expect as the place is such and even with this pricing, they are doing so well. I wonder what their daily turnover would be like. Initially we wanted to have crabs as well but got a shock when I was told that it is RM 130 per Kg. The current going rate is around RM 82 - RM 90 and RM 130 was surely sky high. And so, we said no and just went for more of other dishes. The place was a mad house for sure. The lady boss was controlling all her staffs and it's good that she was doing that. Or else, orders would have gone haywire and it would have been a mess. 

Sambal Petai @ RM 13.00
This was a very good preparation. I loved the portion size and they surely didn't skimp on the ingredients. The flavours were awesome and I loved the fact that they had added dried shrimps as well. A good dish that I would recommend here. As per my rating, this deserves 9/10. 

Grilled Stingray @ RM 25.00
For the price, I felt that it was too small a portion and taste wise, I wasn't too happy as well. There wasn't much spices used to marinate the stingray as they tended to rely more on the sauce to do the trick. The sauce as well lacked lime and it would have been better if it was zesty. Compared to what I tasted some years back at this very same place, this for sure was a disappointment. I would rate this at 6/10. 

Kam Heong Clams @ RM 20.00
Just like the Sambal Petai, these Kam Heong Clams were very impressive as well. The generous usage of spices and dried shrimps definitely added to the taste and lifted the dish. Absolutely loved it and I would rate this at 9/10. 

Salted Egg Squid @ RM 20.00
Their Salted Egg Squid was another marvelous dish. The squid was fried to perfection and had a rich salted egg and curry leaves coating. Nothing to complain in terms of the portion size as well. I would give this 9/10 as well. 

Fried Oyster & Egg @ RM 13.00
This O Chien was a shame. Seriously it was! Instead of frying the oysters and eggs together, they had fried the oysters first and then separately fried the eggs and placed it on top of the oysters. The necessary flavours that I had expected were also lacking. I would only give this 5/10. Not a dish that I would recommend here. 

Despite this place being a tourist spot that is highly sought after, I did enjoy some of their dishes that we tried tonight. Their Sambal Petai, Salted Egg Squid and Kam Heong Lala were all excellent. Grilled Stingray could have been better and their Fried Oyster & Eggs was a shame. The prices of crabs were also a shocker. For RM 130 per Kg, there's so much more that I could have elsewhere. Crabs are one that I would recommend skipping at this place. Otherwise a great place to chill with friends and definitely a great spot to entertain foreign friends who are visiting Malaysia as it would be an eye opener to the vast food that we have in Malaysia. 

Address: No. 39, Jalan Alor, Bukit Bintang, 50200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1700 - 0400 Daily

1 comment: