Friday 28 February 2014

Bistro Cafe @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Bistro Cafe is a newly opened restaurant in Tanjung Malim, Perak. This restaurant is located along Jalan Bernam Baru 1, Taman Bernam Baru and is owned by my childhood friends. Every time I go back to my hometown, my parents used to boast about the food here and how good it is. They used to say that the food here is akin to home cooked food and nowhere like a typical restaurant's cooking. Curious, I followed them for lunch today.

Bistro Cafe in Taman Bernam Baru, Tanjung Malim

Entrance to the restaurant

Simple and clean
This restaurant is very simple in layout and it was extremely clean. Being familiar faces, we were greeted by the owners and I see them doing this with all if not most customers. This is definitely a good approach and they seem to have a very personal touch with all their customers and you do not get a sense that you are dining at a restaurant. The conversations, atmosphere is all non business like and makes you feel as if you are visiting them at their house. Such is the atmosphere here and now I truly see why my parents love this place. Not only them, all the customers here seem to be in the same boat and I too, felt the same. 

Food Counter

Food Counter
Being a Friday, the emphasis was more on vegetarian dishes and they had minimal meat dishes. It seems that most people from the neighbouring residential areas come here and pack the curries back and hence if you would want to have a better selection, best to come by 1 pm. They have both Par Boil Rice and the usual rice here. Here you have the full liberty of taking the preferred items yourself and at a quantity that you prefer. The food definitely looked good and seemed to be made from quality ingredients. 

Ice Tea
Their Iced Tea was quite good. There was a good amount of tea dust used to fix this drink and it was just nice. I would rate this drink at 8.5/10 .

My Helping
I took some Brinjal Kuttu, Chicken Perattal and Chicken Curry to go with the white rice.  Though I wanted to try other curries, I was quite full by the time I finished the meal. The Chicken Curry was really good and I would rate it at 9/10 . I actually came back here on another occasion and that time tried their Mutton Curry. It was really good and just for information sharing, I would rate their Mutton Curry at 9.8/10 .

Brinjal Kuttu
The Brinjal Kuttu was very good. It was perfectly made with loads of black pepper and was very spicy yet delicious. I would rate this curry at 9.5/10 .

Chicken Perattal
Their Chicken Perattal was again good. Tasted just like those homemade dishes and nowhere close to a restaurant quality. I would rate the above at 8.7/10 .

My Dad's Lunch

My Mom's Lunch
Both my parents went for vegetarian meals. Their selection of available vegetable dishes was really good and would not limit and disappoint any vegetarian. 

Papadam
Papadam is served separately. There is no charge for this and it comes complimentary.

Rasam
Their Rasam is good though slightly oily. Nevertheless, there are loads of spices in it and the Rasam is really hot and spicy. Those would sore throat should think twice before consuming this as you are surely to cough for a long period after having this. For me, I just loved it and would rate it at 9/10 .

The total meal for the day including drinks came to a mere RM 14.00 which is definitely very cheap. I for sure would agree that the food here is good and definitely homemade quality. Do come early to enjoy a greater selection as food tends to get sold out fast.

Address: 15, Jalan Bernam Baru 1, Taman Bernam Baru, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 1900 Daily (Closed on the first and third Tuesdays of the month)

3 comments:

  1. The food looks great but the Rasam, quite oily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely agree on the Rasam....one that they have to work on improving for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. The best place I have eat in Bandar Mualim when i was study @ politeknik in 2017.The owner akka was very friendly and also I have given a nick form the owner Soppu sattai (Red T-shirt)haha... if the restaurant owner akka read my comment for sure she will be very happy . Guy's plese do support Bistro Cafe Restaurant I can grantee you guys the best place to have lunch here.

    ReplyDelete