Tuesday 21 May 2013

Mama Kitchen @ Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Kuala Lumpur

Located along Jalan Datuk Sulaiman in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, lies this restaurant that is famous for it's Loh She Fun. This is supposed to be a branch of the main stall that is located in Petaling Street. Having heard a lot about this restaurant, I decided to head here for dinner today to check out the place myself.

Restaurant Mama Kitchen in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail

Entrance To The Restaurant
When I arrived here around 8 pm, the place was already buzzing with crowd and I had to sit at a table that was located outside as all the tables were already taken up inside. Everyone was very busy taking orders and serving the customers that it took them a while to come up to me and pass me the menu. I was attended to by a foreign girl as the lady boss was busy attending to larger groups.

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
The Menu was just a simple two page laminated paper but it surely had quite a number of dishes to offer. As I was just alone, there was a limit as to what I could try tonight and so I stuck with the basics, a Loh She Fun and another side dish. 

The Cutlery
Everyone was in a rush here and even the chopsticks was placed the other way around. I am quite particular about this and was a little annoyed. 

Herbal Tea @ RM 1.50
The Herbal Tea was just average and was very diluted. It was a disapointment. I would only rate this at 3/10 .

Small Loh She Fun @ RM 7.00

All Mixed And Ready To Be Served
I ordered the small clay-pot Loh She Fun and it is priced at RM 7.00 . Although there has been so much hype built around this place and specifically this dish, I truly find it to be only average. I did do some browsing and I guess I am not alone to say so. Most food bloggers find this dish to be only average too. I think there are many other places that serve better Loh She Fun. Perhaps once upon a time, it may have been very good but today surely the quality has dwindled. I would only rate this dis at 6/10 . In fact even if you check Foursquare reviews when at that place, many would have left similar comments. 

Garlic Roast Pork (Small) @ RM 15.00
Firstly, for this small dish I feel that it is overpriced. Now coming to the taste. Every single piece of pork was not chewable. It was harder than rubber and tasted absolutely horrible. In fact at a later point I had read a review on Foursquare whereby this customer had claimed that chewing rubber is tastier than this dish. That being said, this must surely be a repeated pattern and not just happened today. I would rate this dish at 1/10 . Definitely a must not order dish here. 

Contact Information
Overall, I am not impressed with this restaurant as every dish that I had tried today was either just average or below average. The drinks were also bad and the service was worst. Above all this, they charge a 5% Service Charge which I think is not justifiable. If they feel that they are under staffed, then they must address it by hiring more people and not disappointing customers. Something seriously needs to be done to improve the food too. 

Address: No. 48, Jalan Datuk Sulaiman, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7729 3030

Opening Hours: 1100 - 1500 & 1800 - 2230
                            Closed on Thursdays

No comments:

Post a Comment