Saturday 30 March 2013

Tony Romas @ Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur

Having my office based in 1 Mont Kiara Mall has been very convenient but it has also given us limited choice when it comes to food. Having dined mostly in the same restaurants, my friend and I decided to try Tony Romas for a change. This outlet is located on the Ground Floor of 1 Mont Kiara Mall and is clearly visible from even outside the mall as it is a street fronting outlet.

Entrance Through The Mall

Inside The Restaurant
They definitely have a huge space for seating inside and I believe it can easily accommodate at least 200 people at any point in time. Even during lunch hours like this, it was half full and the staffs were very busy attending to customers needs. I think they are understaffed and a little stressed at the moment. I felt that because no one greeted us at the entrance which is the norms for restaurants like this and we had to find our own tables. Above that, I had to wave a couple of times for them to even bring the menu card to us.

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

After waving a number of times, the waiter finally brought the menu to us. He had brought the Ala Carte menu and I had to call him again requesting for the Set Lunch Menu. If I had not known about this set lunche, I would have paid premium price for my meals. After going through the menu and made up our mind, I waved again and after some attempts our orders were taken. I think introducing the Value Lunch Sets has definitely increased the sales for Tony Romas as I feel that the sets are worth it.  These Lunch Sets are only valid from Mondays to Fridays, from 1100 - 1500 only and it excludes Public Holidays. I am definitely aware that the meal size may be smaller but that does not matter. All you need for a quick lunch is a decent meal and not something that induces sleep after consumption. Along with the set, you would also get complimentary bottomless Soft Drinks and a Soup of the Day.

Mountain Dew

Ice Lemon Tea

As mentioned earlier, these sets come with a bottomless soft drink. I chose Mountain Dew and my friend ordered Ice Lemon Tea for himself. The glass size was surely humongous.

Potato Onion Soup
Initially I was thinking that we would be serving the commonly found Mushroom Soup but hey, we got a decent Potato Onion Soup and it was delicious. I would rate this soup at 9/10 . The only downside would be the portion size but once again, you get what you pay for.

Fire Grilled Harvest Valley Chicken @ RM 16.90
Typically this was a piece of Grilled Chicken sprinkled with Citrus and it came with some Nasi Minyak and Grilled Vegetables. A nice fusion I would say and the combination went well. The chicken was small and to fill the stomach, it was substituted with the Rice. Generally an acceptable dish with a different touch and for RM 16.90 it is acceptable. I would rate this preparation at 6/10 .

Tony Romas's Sauces

BBQ 1/4 Chicken @ RM 16.90
This was definitely a much better dish compared to the one above. More meaty and western like, something that you would expect at Tony Romas. It is typically 1/4 Grilled Chicken in Tony Romas sauce served with Fries and Coleslaw. The Fries portion was also huge and they were fried to crispness. The Chicken was also done just about right and not hard or overdone. I would rate this dish at 7/10 .

Discount Coupon

Overall this is a decent place to dine. There are a few areas that they need to improve and one of that would be to increase the staffing. The Lunch Sets are definitely a great idea but I would be selective on the dish as not all options are great. Our meal for the day came to RM 39.25 including taxes and they also gave us a discount coupon which was pretty much a marketing gimmick to get us back to their restaurants within a specified time frame. However, a discount is a discount and does come in handy if you visit them again. Would I return again to this restaurant, yes definitely but not in the very near future.

Address: G23A, Ground Floor, 1 Mont Kiara Mall,
                 No.1 Jalan Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200

Telephone: +603 6203 0580

No comments:

Post a Comment