Thursday 1 January 2015

Moorthy's Mathai Restaurant @ Sunway Damansara Technology Park, Petaling Jaya

Moorthy's Mathai is a very famous stall that is located in Brickfields which has been around for more than 5 decades now. Some years back, they also started another outlet in Petaling Jaya, somewhere along Jalan Chantek, just off Jalan Gasing. This place has been highly recommended by a close friend of mine, Mr. Velan and I have included it on my list of places to visit. I don't always get a chance to go to Brickfields and it has been pending for a while now. Fortunately two weeks ago, they opened another outlet in Sunway Damansara Technology Park which is inside Palm Springs area in Kota Damansara and this place is very close to where I live and I did not want to miss this opportunity. Being New Year's Day, as we were both off, my brother and I decided to head here for lunch.

Moorthy's Mathai Restaurant in Sunway Damansara

They Occupy A Corner Unit

Ample Parking Spaces
For those coming from the LDP heading north, just after 1 Utama which should be on your left, take the next turn into Kota Damansara. Keep going straight and take the underpass. Shortly, you would see Houz Depot on your left and Pelangi Damansara Condominium on your right. Keep going straight for another 300 meters and you would come to a junction which enables you to turn right into Palm Springs. Once you take the right turn, keep going straight until you come to the industrial zone. At this industrial zone, you would be able to see the restaurant on your left.

Outdoor Seating Area

A Small Air-conditioned Room

Indoor Dining Area

Just A Small Restaurant

Photographs of their original Stall in Brickfields
The restaurant, though located in a corner unit, isn't that big but is good enough for this area. Besides the usual indoor and outdoor seating areas, they also have a small air-conditioned room for customers dining comfort. As soon as we arrived, the waiters were quick to attend to us. I was not sure what was available for the day and therefore we decided to check the curries' station.

Curries Available For The Day

Curries Available For The Day

Curries Available For The Day

Iced Water On The House
Having seen what's available for the day, we ordered our choice of dishes and went back to the table. Both of us ordered a glass of Ice'd water and I was surprised to see that they did not charge us for this. Not many places practice this and it is definitely a nice gesture.

Banana Leaf Meal @ RM 5.00

Banana Leaf Meal @ RM 5.00
Their Banana Leaf Set was priced at RM 5.00 and this comes with three vegetables, Papadam, Rasam and a free flow of gravies. Being in a high end locality, I was expecting that they would charge higher but was glad when I learned that the prices here are very much reasonable. RM 5.00 per set is definitely a good price.

Cabbage


Potato
All their vegetables tasted quite good. If I were to rank these, I would say that the second one was the best of them all which deserves a rating of 9.3/10, this is followed by the Potato which I would rate at 8.5/10 and finally the Cabbage which I would rate at around 7/10 . All were good and they were fresh. Even the Cabbage was not overcooked like in most places and generally I was happy with the vegetables.

Sambar
As always, I always split my rice to give a number of gravies a try. The first one that I tried was their Sambar. The Sambar was good, not the thick type and not too watery as well. Just the right balance between the two. I would rate their Sambar at 8.5/10 .

Chicken Curry
Their Chicken Curry was just so so. It was just above average and slightly on the diluted side. Wasn't something that impressed me and I would rate this at 6.5/10 .

Fish Curry
As a contrast to their Chicken Curry, the Fish Curry however was good. The flavours were perfect and it was something that both of us enjoyed very much. I would rate this at 8.7/10 .

Rasam

Rasam
The Rasam was provided as part of the set. Each of us got a small tumbler filled with this delicacy. Their Rasam was nice too. Not the kind that would make you say 'Wow' but it was good. I would rate this at 8.3/10 .

Prawn Sambal @ RM 5.00

Prawn Sambal @ RM 5.00
From what I heard from my friend, the Prawn Sambal at Moorthy's Mathai is usually very good and so we ordered a plate of this. This one however was not that good, in fact it was very ordinary. Moreover, the prawns were swimming in a pool of oil. My brother is a Prawn lover and I had been telling him stories along the way that the Prawn Sambal here is very good and he had great expectations and with the first bite, he gave me a weird stare which spoke a thousand words. And yes, that was exactly how it was. For me, it's definitely a big NO. I would rate this dish at 5/10 .

Mutton Perattal @ RM 6.00

Mutton Perattal @ RM 6.00
Their Mutton Perattal however was very good. The gravy was thick and it came with lean chunks of mutton. The mutton too was soft and tender. Absolutely loves this dish! I would rate this at 9/10 .

Fried Fish @ RM 5.00

Fried Fish @ RM 5.00
The Fried Fish at Mathai's is another one of their top selling item. As you may have observed earlier, even their banner had a caption which reads 'Brickfields Famous Fried Fish' . The fish here is generally fried upon request. They are huge chunks and is good to be shared by two. The marination was good and the fish was succulent and juicy. Excellent stuff and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Overall, except for the Prawn Sambal, the food here is pretty good. The prices are very decent, tastes are good, the premise is clean and the service is super fast. Definitely a place that I would return and recommend!

Address: No. 26A, Jalan PJU 3/38A, Sunway Damansara Technology Park,
                 Kota Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 1800 Daily

Telephone: +6012 224 0524 

No comments:

Post a Comment