Wednesday 28 January 2015

Restoran Shankarees Curry House @ Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur

Initially today we had wanted to go over to Uma Ranis which is located along Jalan Ipoh but as the traffic was quite bad in the area, I decided to turn in to Jalan Kasipillay which is located at the third mile along Jalan Ipoh. I know that there are quite a number of eateries here and a number of new Banana Leaf places too which have mushroomed in recent months. Once I turned in, I sighted this Shankarees Curry House on my left. Since we have never tried this place before, we wanted to give the place a try. 

Shankarees Curry House at Jalan Kasipillay

Quiet At This Hour
Parking could be a problem here but we were fortunate to get a bay right in front of this restaurant. We were here around 3 pm and the place was quite empty then. I was just hoping that there would be some food available as we were already quite hungry. 

Vegetarian Dishes

Vegetarian Dishes

Sothi
Just as I expected, most of the curries were already sold out but fortunately, there was still some and we could manage with just that. This was a good sign. Well, if the food was not good here, then there would be quite a bit of left over and since it was the reverse, then food shall surely be quite good.

Non Vegetarian Dishes

Non Vegetarian Dishes
Even most of the non vegetarian dishes were already sold out but as I mentioned earlier, we decided to just make do with whatever that was left. We then selected our food items and then returned back to our table. At this restaurant, they have both Par Boil Rice and the usual White Rice. I did not see any sign of Banana Leaf meals here. Perhaps they only go by plates. 

My Mom's Meal @ RM 5.50

My Dad's Meal @ RM 5.50

My Meal @ RM 7.00
Once we returned to our table, the owner then came up and started calculating the prices. To my surprise, both my parent's meal were priced at RM 5.50 each. They only had rice with two vegetables and my meal which consisted of Rice and Mutton was priced at RM 7.00 . Prices here are definitely on the high side. Did not expect such pricing at this simple restaurant. There is not much that we could do now but to just enjoy the meal. I shall talk about the individual dishes below.

Long Beans Perattal
Their Long Beans Perattal was quite standard, similar to other Tamil restaurants out there. I would rate this at 7/10 .

Bean Sprouts
Their Bean Sprouts however tasted quite good. Minimal oil was used in the preparation and it tasted delicious. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Vegetarian Kulambu
Their Vegetarian Kulambu was awesome. It was very good! Everything was perfect and I would have enjoyed my meal even if everything else was sold out. Just plain rice and this gravy would have been a satisfying meal for me. I would rate this at 9.8/10 . Highly recommended!

Sothi
Their Sothi too was very good. It was made without being stingy with the ingredients. I loved this too and would rate this at 9.7/10 . Highly recommended!

Mutton Perattal
Their Mutton Perattal came with a combination of meat and bones. The gravy was simply delicious and the dish was fantastic. Another excellent dish here and this too is highly recommended! I would rate this at 9.7/10 .

Papadam
For three pax, they only provided us with three Papadams and when we asked for more, the waiter provided them without a fuss. Maybe there was quite a lot of wastage happening and so they try to control it even at the service level. The Papadams were fresh and not the foldable type. Good stuff!

Rasam

Rasam
They initially provided us with only one tumbler of Rasam, perhaps they thought that we were going to add it to the rice. But then, I asked for another two tumblers of Rasam and told them that we usually drink it, to which the waiter obliged. Their Rasam was thick, filled with spices and it was simply a treat! Excellent stuff and I would rate this at 9.8/10 . Must try their Rasam if you happen to be here. 

Iced Water On The House
All of us had a glass of Iced Water each and it was provided complimentary. This is a good practice that I would applaud when many out there actually charge for them. 

Us Having Lunch

The Bill For The Day
In summary, I would definitely say that the food here is fantastic despite the fact that their prices are on the high side. Would I return? Oh yes I will but would not be a place that I would patronise daily, simply because of the prices. But when I feel like having some good Indian food, then this place would definitely come to my mind. Food wise, the place is definitely highly recommended!

Address: 2060, KLH Building (Menara KLH), Jalan Kasipillay,
                Off Jalan Ipoh, 51200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0730 - 2000 Daily

Telephone: +6019 217 3754

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShankareesCurryHouse/timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment