Sunday 14 September 2014

Kedai Kopi Mee Bon @ 3rd Mile Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur

Ask any old timer in Kuala Lumpur where you would go for Dim Sum, they would unanimously say Mee Bon in Ipoh Road. I used to frequent this restaurant as a little boy following my father and due to logistics, we stopped coming here about two years ago. My dad was in town today and he suggested  to we revisit this restaurant and here we are for dinner.

Kedai Kopi Mee Bon along Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur

Most of the seats are outdoors
The restaurant has not changed even a little since those days. We were here around 9.30 pm and the usual crowd was there. This is one of those restaurants that operate all day long and you tend to find people here anytime of the day. Breakfast on public holidays and weekends are the most crowded times. Now, all their staffs are foreigners. Usually, they would be bringing tray after tray of Dim Sum to your table but today, they only brought one tray. I asked them what happened to the rest and the staff mentioned that they only have those items. Definitely the spread had reduced drastically over the years. There were only around 12 different items to choose from. I repeated my question to the waiter if the rest have finished, again he said that these days, these were the ones that they have. Definitely comes as a surprise to me as they used to have a good spread of steamed Dim Sum those days. We then picked our items and he then placed them on the table and left.

Stuffed Tofu @ RM 4.50

Fu Chok with Fillings @ RM 4.50

Egg Dim Sum @ RM 4.50

Fish Balls @ RM 4.50

Steamed Dim Sum @ RM 4.50

Prawn Dim Sum @ RM 4.50

Pork Dim Sum @ RM 4.50
Generally, the quality of the Dim Sum has definitely dropped. Though being consistently steamed, the items were only lukewarm, I think it has not been steamed long enough. I am not saying that it was bad but definitely not as good anymore. My usual place in Kampung Baru Sungai Buloh is way better than this. On average, it would rate these at 7/10 .

Shrimp Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4,50
The Shrimp Chee Cheong Fun was also not as good as it was. It was just above average. I would rate this at 7/10 .

Loh Mai Kai @ RM 5.00
Thank God that their Loh Mai Kai was still very good. This was the only dish that I tasted tonight that brought me down memory lane. Their Loh Mai Kai, as before was non oily and absolutely delicious. I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Dinner In Progress

The Chit Used To Sum The Bill

Our Bill For The Day
The Dim Sum spread was definitely disappointing and so was the taste. The Loh Mai Kai was still awesome, otherwise a disappointing dinner for us. I definitely expected much more from this place. If you go back to my previous entries on this restaurant, I would have spoken very greatly about the food here but sad that I am unable to do so tonight. I hope that they are able to improve the taste to what it was those days.

Address: 491, Batu 3 off Jalan Ipoh, 51200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: All Day

Telephone: +603 4043 7784

No comments:

Post a Comment