Monday 24 October 2016

Indian Food Stall in Kedai Kopi Hup Hing @ Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur

This isn't my first time to this Indian food stall located in Kedai Kopi Hup Hing. In fact, it's my second visit here as I was in love with the food from my last visit and I am fairly certain that this won't be my last as well. This is just a humble old fashioned restaurant that is located along Jalan Pahang, right opposite the main entrance to KL General Hospital. Within this restaurant, there's an Indian Stall, a Chinese Mixed Rice stall and a Wanton Mee Stall; all of which operate from breakfast to lunch. I have tried the food from all the stalls here and am very impressed. Due to the same factor, the restaurant tends to be very busy for breakfast and lunch so much so, most customers that come here for lunch would be forced to do takeaways as there would be no seats left for dine in's. The best time to come here would be around 11 am till around 12 noon. After 12.30 pm, it becomes too crowded to the extent that it may even be difficult to get into the restaurant. 

At 11.30 am, The Place Is Almost Full House

Excellent Home Cooked Taste
The Indian Food Stall is located right at the entrance, directly opposite the Kon Low Mee Stall. She has a good variety of vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes and they are cooked without MSG and that gives it a home cooked taste. Demand is huge and as you can see, at 11.30 am many of her dishes are already sold out. Another reason for this is her very reasonable pricing. For a city restaurant, the kind of prices that she charges are very reasonable. In fact, I won't even be able to enjoy such prices in Tanjung Malim. For pure vegetarians, you can be assured that she uses different wok's for vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. This I have witnessed myself as the cooking is done inside this restaurant and not brought from home. She also has two different counter's which she uses to segregate them both. 

My Lunch @ RM 7.00
I had some rice, Fried Bitter Gourd, Anchovies Sambal, Cuttlefish Sambal, Vegetarian Mock Fish Sambal and a vegetable and this was priced at RM 7.00 . Very reasonable right? And not to forget the Papadam and Rasam that were served separately. I doubt you could get such a good deal in Kuala Lumpur.

Vegetarian Mock Fish Sambal
The Mock Fish Sambal was just excellent. It wasn't too soggy, the gravy was thick and spicy and she had used quality mock fish and not those cheaper ones that taste like rubber. An excellent one and I would rate this at 9/10.

Fried Bitter Gourd
Fried Bitter Gourd is one of my favourites and I loved the way she had prepared this. It wasn't like the one's that you get in Indian Muslim restaurants where it's all coated in flour with artificial flavours and is soft instead of being crunchy. This one was spiced using only two ingredients, salt and chili powder and it was fried to a crisp, just how the Tamil style of making this should be. It was so good that I could go on having this all day as a snack while watching TV. Really good stuff and I would rate this at 9/10.

Veggie Cooked With Dhall
This vegetable cooked with dhall was good and it tasted just like the home cooked ones. The good thing about that is the taste. And the bad thing about that is simply the fact that the veggies were overcooked and all you get is basically fiber. Well, though I would like mine to be tasty and still crunchy, we can't have the best of both world's can we. So, I'd just vote based on the taste and for this, I shall give it a 9/10. 

Cuttlefish Sambal
Their Cuttlefish Sambal was a killer. Super spicy and super delicious! Truly one of the best that I have had in recent years. In fact, my friend had the same and he couldn't stop talking about how good this was for a week. Yes, every time he sees me in office, he would mention this over and over again saying that we must come back to this stall just to have this. That should give you an indication as to how good this was and I would rate this at 10/10.

Anchovies Sambal
Another fantastic preparation. The Anchovies Sambal were so good. The were deep fried first, and then added to the chili paste and stir fried with chilies. Double the process for double the taste. Another must try dish at this stall that deserves nothing less than a perfect 10/10. 

On the whole, it was a remarkable lunch. Fantastic food and such reasonable prices. For those who are wondering if parking is freely available here, the answer would be yes. Once you sight this restaurant, go slow and keep to the left. Right after the next block which is the Vue Residences Serviced Suites, turn left and within 20 meters, you would see an open space which is a car park. From there, it's just a 5 minute walk to this restaurant.

Address: No. 20-7, Jalan Pahang, 53000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 1430 (Closed on Sundays)

No comments:

Post a Comment