Thursday 4 June 2015

Cafe Dim Dim Sum Yee @ Rawang, Selangor

All these years, whenever I wanted to have some good Dim Sum, I would always end up heading to Kuala Lumpur and little did I know that this specialty Dim Sum restaurant had been in existence in Rawang since the year 2011. It was just by chance that I discovered this place today. I was waiting for my connecting train back to Tanjung Malim and since I had some time at my disposal, decided to have dinner in Rawang. When I kept walking to see what is available, I came across this restaurant. This restaurant is located along Jalan Bandar Rawang 12, which is just a four minutes walk from the KTM Komuter station. 

The Restaurant in Pusat Bandar Rawang

Interior Of The Restaurant

Clean and Comfortable

Interior Of The Restaurant
The restaurant was not that crowded at this hour as most people would be going for Dim Sum either in the mornings or noon. Nevertheless, the number of customers were still encouraging. Apparently when I checked their Facebook page, it seems that they are massively crowded for breakfast and lunch and on weekends, the tables do spill over to the streets. All their Dim Sum's are handmade and freshness is a guarantee that they give you. That is to say that all their Dim Sum's are only steamed upon order and unlike other restaurants that keep steaming them all day long. Thus, it is practical to expect some waiting time as every order is freshly handled. The cleanliness of the restaurant was also very good. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
It seemed like this place is a father and son run show. Maybe this is the scenario in the evenings when the crowd isn't so great and I am quite certain that they would have more help during the day. The moment I walked in to the restaurant, I was greeted by the 'Father' and he then handed the menu over to me. The spread was good and they had a number of unique rice dishes too. He was very supportive in answering all my questions pertaining to the dishes. Once my ordering was done, he filled in a pre printed chit and then went over to the kitchen. I believe that the son must be doing the steaming over there. 

Complete Cutlery

Kampong Koh Sauce

Kampong Koh Sauce

Chinese Tea @ RM 0.50
Each table was equipped with the complete set of cutlery. This is an excellent practice as one would not need to go table hopping finding for things when the food is served. Even the saucers were provided with each table. Besides the Kampung Koh Sauce, they also provided the sweet sauce. When it comes to Dim Sum, my preference would always be the Kampung Koh Sauce. It is only when I am having Yong Tau Foo that I would go for the sweet dip sauce. Once again, this is just a matter of personal preference and I am sure that some would love to have their Dim Sum with the sweet dip sauce too and it is just great of them to sufficiently provide all these in advance. I ordered a glass of Chinese Tea and this was priced at fifty cents per glass. They also had other specialty and Herbal drinks but I was contended to just go with this. Now, waiting for the dishes to arrive.  

Steamed Fish Balls @ RM 4.30

Steamed Fish Balls @ RM 4.30
The wait wasn't too long and it was just a matter of 10 to 15 minutes and the dishes were being sent one by one. The first to arrive was the Steamed Fish Balls. A set comes with three of these. Now, the Fish Balls were just amazing. They were extremely soft and supply and it was just so tasty. Felt as if I was having these at a 5 star hotel. Amazing quality and freshness and I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Teo Chew Siew Mai @ RM 4.30

Teo Chew Siew Mai @ RM 4.30
This was another excellent preparation. The Siew Mai's were not very small, in fact it took more than a bite or two to completely finish it. As you know, the Teo Chew variety is made from Pork and not Shrimps. Thus is was a little harder but it was juicy and good! I would rate this at 8.8/10 .

Steamed Spare Ribs with Black Bean @ RM 4.80

Steamed Spare Ribs with Black Bean @ RM 4.80
As far as this Pai Kuat dish is concerned, this is one of the best preparations that I have tasted. Not the best, but one of the best and worthy of mention. Each rib came with just the right amount of meat attached and it was not rubbery but soft and so juicy. Black Bean had also been added to enhance the taste, and that too at just the right amounts. Not something to overkill the dish. It was just amazing eating it hot and steamy. I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Char Siew Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4.30

Char Siew Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 4.30

Lavish Amounts Of Char Siew In Each Roll

Dried Shrimp & Chili Flakes
As far as this Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun was concerned, they had both the Char Siew and Shrimp variety and I went for the previous. Just a matter of preference. There were three lengthy rolls that were snipped into two thus giving you six smaller portions. On the sides, some Dried Shrimp with Chili Flakes were also provided and this is to be topped based on your individual preferences. The amount of Char Siew used in the rolls was also very encouraging. Definitely a good preparation and I would rate this at 9/10 .

Char Siew Bao @ RM 1.80

Char Siew Bao @ RM 1.80
The final one that I tried tonight was their Char Siew Bao. This was not like those machine or factory made ones. It was definitely a handmade one and each Bao, had a three angled fold to give you ease of just breaking them. Just look at that filling. It was just heavenly and the Bao was filled to maximum capacity with no empty pockets.  Do note that a tray comes with three Bao's but you can even request for just one like what I did tonight. This is a true winner and I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Some may feel that the prices are quite steep for Rawang but for me, I would not mind paying for quality. Just imagine going to Kuala Lumpur and having some crap Dim Sum for a much higher price than this. Or let's say going to Dynasty Hotel and having Dim Sum there while paying through your nose. Comparatively, this is definitely an excellent deal. Moreover, this place delivers parallel quality to those upscale places. Of course I am not comparing this place with those restaurants that employ those Hong Kong celebrity Chefs. No, that is definitely not my comparison. But compared to those famous Dim Sum places like in Kampung Baru Sg. Buloh, Ipoh Road or even Cheras, then this is definitely a  much better deal. Once again, taste is a matter of individual preference and what is good for me, may not be great for you and vice versa.  Therefore, it is always encouraged to go with an open mind.

Address: No. 23, Jalan Bandar Rawang 12, Pusat Bandar Rawang,
                48000 Rawang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0730 - 2100 Daily

Telephone: +6016 337 8989 & +6016 778 8989 ( Best To Call Before Making Your Trip There)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-Dim-Dim-Sum-Yi-at-Rawang/233927073293261?sk=timeline&ref=page_internal 

No comments:

Post a Comment