Friday 10 November 2017

SS2 Selera Malam (Wai Sek Kai SS2) @ SS2, Petaling Jaya

This food court in SS2 has been around for ages but of late, I have been observing a decline in business. Even this evening, we were here at around 10 pm and there were not many stalls that were open and the crowd was not great compared to what it used to be. Previously, it used to be buzzing with customers even at midnight. I was a little skeptical at first but since we were already here, I decided to give the place a try. 

The Food Court In SS2

Fried Kuey Teow Stall

Fried Mee / Kuey Teow Mix @ RM 6.00
I have tried the food at Stall No. 8 before and their Char Kuey Teow used to be really good. Today, it was the total opposite and a huge let down as I was expecting the same old taste. The noodles were bland, tasteless and it was just not right from every aspect. Sadly, I am only going to rate this at 3/10. 

Stall 55 Grilled Fish

Grilled Stingray
This Grilled Stingray from Stall 55 was another disaster. The was charred all over and the meat was so stiff and dry. There was no real Sambal taste coming from the stingray and the sauce that was provided was nothing but totally watery stuff that again was tasteless. Another total waste of money. 2/10 would be my rating for this. 

Stall 56 Prawn Mee

Prawn Mee @ RM 6.00
Thankfully, their Prawn Mee was still what it used to be. The broth was thick and it came with generous amount of add on's. This is one that is comparable to the best Prawn Mee's to be found in the Klang Valley. My rating for this shall be 9/10. 

Pork Satay Stall

Pork Satay
The Pork Satay was decent but not as good as the one that we get in Desa Jaya, Kepong. The meat was lean and the flavours were up to my expectations. The Peanut Dip however wasn't great. My rating for the Satay shall be 8/10 and 5/10 for the Peanut Sauce. 

Wantan Mee Stall

Wantan Mee

Wanton's In Clear Soup
There's so much hype about this plate of Wantan Mee at the stall so much so my expectations ended up being very high. When the dish was served, it was a total disappointment. The Wantan Mee itself was so ordinary and the Char Siew was nothing great. In fact, I would say that their Char Siew was bad. My rating for the noodles shall be 5/10 and their Char Siew, I shall rate it at 4/10. The Wanton's were okay but the soup was too salty. I would say it tasted worse than sea water. 0/10 for this clear soup. 

Despite having once been a place that was very famous, today I realised why their business had been on a decline. Compared to my last visit in 2013, food quality had gone so bad so much so many of the dishes that we had ordered this evening were below expectations. The only dish that was consistently good was the Prawn Mee from Stall 56. Based on what we had experienced this evening, I don't see any reason to come here expect for that Prawn Mee which was good. If you're not going for that, I would suggest avoiding this place. 

Address: Jalan SS 2/62, SS2, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Business Hours: 1700 - 0000 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment