Sunday, 21 August 2016

Restoran Ah Zai @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Restaurant Ah Zai is a place that needs no introduction among the locals here in Tanjung Malim. Having started sometime in June 2015, their business and reputation has been steadily growing over the months and they are mostly full house daily. Business starts at around 6 pm and goes on till 11 pm. Their main dishes are Curry Mee, Kon Low Mee (Wan Tan Mee), Soup Noodles, Asam Laksa and a variety of Yong Tau Fu items. There has been days when even at 8.30 pm, most of their items had been sold out. I believe I have blogged about them in the past, once when they first started and once more, when they introduced a Chicken Chop dish in their menu. Of late, another new addition that has been a hot seller here is their Char Kuey Teow. For me, it's almost mandatory that I have to have it at least once a week and I wonder how I missed blogging about that dish.

As always, I arrived at around 8.00 pm. Luckily it was a rainy day and most of the Tofu items were still available. They have an open counter where all the items are placed and customers can select what they would like to have and then instruct them as to how they would like to have them. Being one who comes here often, they know me pretty well and I have the liberty of walking into their work zone and pick those items myself. Having done that, I requested them to add some curry to it and got myself a table at the far end of the restaurant. 

Assorted Items in Curry @ RM 3,00
In a matter of minutes, the dish was sent over to my table. Since I am also having their Char Kuey Teow, I went for some very minimal items, selected three pieces which comprises of Stuffed Tofu, Mixed Meat Steamed Sui Gau and Stuffed Bitter Gourd and requested for these to be served in Curry. Their curry is simply awesome. It is not one of those watered down versions and is extremely delicious. To be honest, I went for this dish solely for their curry. That's how good it is. For me, I would rate their curry at 9/10 . The assorted Yong Tau Fu items costs RM 1.00 each. These are good as well. I don't mean to say that they are excellent as I have tasted better ones for sure. Still, they are good and I would give them a 8/10 ,

Char Kuey Teow @ RM 5.00 per plate
While the son's are handling the front counter preparing all those Laksa, Soup and Curry Mee orders, the mother prepares these fried items in the kitchen. A faily good portion for the price and their Char Kuey Teow is so delicious. Besides Kuey Teow, they also have Mee and Mee Hoon as well. 

Spicy and Super Good
The plate of Char Kuey Teow also comes with a generous amount of eggs, clams, shrimps, bean sprouts and fish paste. Slightly on the spicy side and that blend of flavours is just perfect for the dish. As the Chinese would say, the 'Wok Hei' was intact and the dish was not greasy.  Lovely.... lovely preparation. I would rate this at 10/10 . Surely the best Chinese style Char Kuey Teow in town.

If you happen to be on this side of town, please do not miss the above dishes and yes, their Asam Laksa is also fabulous.This is definitely a place that I would recommend. 

Address: No. 63, Taman Golden Wood, 35900 Hulu Bernam, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1730 - 0000 (Closed on Thursdays)

No comments:

Post a Comment