Sunday 8 December 2013

Ravi's @ Solaris Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur

Ravi's is an Indian Restaurant that does not need any further introduction. They have been around in the food business for a very long time now. Having mostly positioned themselves in the up market areas, this review is on one their outlets that is located in Solaris Mont Kiara.

Ravi's at Solaris Mont Kiara

Indoor & Outdoor Seats Available

Outdoor Seats Available on the other side too

Indoor Dining Area
It is quite easy to spot them in Solaris Mont Kiara. They are located quite near the entrance. The moment you drive in, you would be able to spot them on the right. Being in a corner unit, they have the flexibility to extend the seating space to the walkways and these are covered and so, customers do not have to worry if it shall rain. 

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.80
Their Teh Tarik was disappointing. It was quite diluted and did not have much tea taste in it. I would not be alone to say this as even as I was at the restaurant, there were many who walked back to the drinks counter and asked them to add more tea into the drink. I would only rate this drink at 3/10 .

Banana Leaf Set Meal @ RM 6.50
Orders are taken quite fast here and the service too is very efficient. The moment I sat down, things were happening rather quickly. Here they have the option of either the usual White Rice or Par Boil Rice. The basic set comes with four different vegetables, Rasam and some Papadam. They do not serve items like pickles here.

Pumpkin Kootu
The above Pumpkin Kootu was quite nice and they are lavish with the amount of vegetables that they serve on the leaf. I would rate their Pumpkin Kootu at 8.5/10 .

Cucumber Acar
This is simple dish to prepare and I am confused as to why the preparation here was quite bland. It literally had no other taste except that of the cucumber. I would only rate this vegetable at 5/10 .

Cabbage
Their Cabbage again was quite disappointing. It was not up to the mark. I would only rate this at 4/10 .

Fried Bitter-gourd
The Fried Bitter Gourd was good. It had great flavours and was very well done. I would rate it at 8/10 .

Rice with Chicken Curry
My first helping was with the above Chicken Curry. It was really diluted and did not taste good at all. The spices were not at all traceable and I regretted taking this as it spoiled the first half of my meal. I would only rate their Chicken Curry at 3/10 .

Rice with Sambar
The next round, I went with the above Sambar and I was glad that it did taste good. When I say good, I do not mean to say that it was excellent but it was just good and edible. I would rate their Sambar at 6.5/10 .

The Curry Station

Mutton Perattel @ RM 9.00
Wanting to try some meat, I went over to their Curry Station and picked out the above Mutton Perattel. They serve in a slightly larger than usual plate and it is priced at RM 9.00 which I think is very reasonable for the portion given. This dish was really good. I loved the way the meat was, tender and juicy and it was spiced excellently. Do note that it was slightly on the spicy side. Nevertheless, an excellent dish. I would rate this dish at 9/10 .

Frying Corner

Fried Tenggiri Fish @ RM 5.50
They have a frying station which has loads of seafood and chicken that have been marinated and kept. Customers can walk over and pick your items which they would then fry and send over to your table. I picked the above Fish and it was priced at RM 5.50 which is very reasonable. Their Fried Fish was just above average. The marination was minimal and it did not have a bold spicy taste to it. The fish too was very dry which means that you cannot eat it on it's own and has to go with rice and curry to give it the added taste. Their frying technique however was excellent. I would rate the above Fish at 6/10 only. 

Rasam
Although Rasam is part of the Banana Leaf Set, they do not serve it unless you ask for it. Even then, it is served in a very small tumbler and that too half full. Taste wise, it was about average. I would rate this at 6/10 .

Overall, I find their food to be only about average except for their Mutton Perattel. Perhaps this place would go well with the expatriate community in this area but definitely does not stand out to a Tamilian like me. 

Address: No.1, Jalan Solaris 2, Solaris Mont Kiara, Mont Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2230 Daily

Telephone: +603 6211 6611

No comments:

Post a Comment