Saturday 24 October 2015

Restoran Nyior Muda & Bakery @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Being a Saturday, I always prefer to start my day with some good Nasi Lemak. What I used to do in the past was to drive in to town and hunt for a new place to have this, well I am sure that you all know that I love to explore new eateries. For a change, I thought of trying this place that was a mere 2 minutes walk from my home. Previously this used to be known as Restoran Abuya Food & Catering (which I have done a review in the past) and a few months back, a new management had taken over the restaurant. Food was bad then, really bad and that had been the reason for them to sell off the business. With the new take over, there seems to be a decent crowd coming and hoping that the food would be better, I dropped by this morning. After all, it's just a two minutes walk.

Same Interior

A Quiet Morning
It seems that the previous guys had sold log, stock and barrel and these newcomers, had just needed to bring their staffs in and they were able to operate the very next day. Not a single thing had changed as far as the interior was concerned. The staffs however, were much more cheerful and welcoming unlike the previous guy's who never knew how to smile at customers. Apparently, business seemed quite slow today but that's understandable as the University is closed for semester break now. I checked with them if they had Nasi Lemak and fortunately they did. Not the ones that you could select the gravies on a plate but those prepacked Nasi Lemak bungkus. Both were good for me and so, I took a seat, ordered a cup of Teh Tarik and a packet of Nasi Lemak.

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.20
My Teh Tarik arrived in a matter of minutes. Obviously I am not expecting a perfect cup of tea like the ones served at Indian Muslim restaurants. The quality was of acceptable level but a tad too sweet. It would have been very much better if they had reduced the amount of condensed milk added to the drink. I would rate this at 6/10 .

Nasi Lemak @ RM 1.10

Nasi Lemak @ RM 1.10

Spicy Sambal

Mediocre Rice
Firstly, I held the packet to see if it was hot and yes, it was. So that gives a fair indication that it was freshly prepared recently. But I did not like the packaging. I never like when food is exposed like this as it gives ample ground for fly's to do nasty things. Despite being skeptical, I just hoped that nothing would come out of this dangerous test and hence proceeded with it. Coming to the taste, the rice was very much a let down. It lacked the fragrance of the coconut milk rice and ginger and it seemed that they have been very stingy with the ingredients. The Sambal however was good, a spicy version but once again, it was so little. Surely not up to my expectations. Overall taste, I would only rate this at 5/10 .

It seems that despite having a new management taken over this restaurant, they too have failed to impress me. Just like the previous owners, the food was very mediocre but glad that at least these guys served with a smile. They seemed to have also added a bakery here and do bake fresh Kaya Puffs daily. It was not ready yet else I would have tried them too but they surely looked good. I was told that those would only be ready mid afternoon. Perhaps I should just walk over one of these days and try those Kaya Puffs just to see how those turn out to be. As for the Nasi Lemak, it is surely a no from me.

Address: No. 1, Jalan HG 1, Taman Happy Garden, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0800 - 1600 Monday to Saturday
                             Closed on Sundays

No comments:

Post a Comment