Tuesday 25 September 2012

Sen Kee Satay @ Desa Amanpuri

This is a place that I had wanted to visit in a long time but never got the chance The specialty here is the Duck Satay, Lamb Satay and Pork Satay. This afternoon, I decided to visit this place later at night for dinner. I have been reading quite a number of blogs on this stall and from that, I understand that they have two outlets, one in Desa Jaya, Kepong and another in Desa Aman Puri. Luckily, the contact numbers were given too and I called that number. Spoke to a young lady and she informed me that the other two places mentioned above had been closed down and they had just moved three days ago to Ehsan Industrial Park which is not too far from the previous outlet in Desa Aman Puri.

The Present Stall of Sen Kee Satay
Later at night, I head out to the location as advised by the boss earlier. When I was not too far in that area, I called the handphone number again but no one answered. I just waited where I was to call back shortly. To my surprise, the owner Mr. Yap called me back. He then guided me over the phone to his shop. I was touched by this gesture.

The Stall With The Various Write Ups Cut Out
 Once I reached his stall, he immediately recognized me. Such a nice man. This stall is located inside another Chinese restaurant but is clearly visible from the roadside. I placed my orders with him and then moved over to an empty table.

Mrs. Yap Preparing My Orders
Then Mr. Yap came up to my table and then he started telling me about his past. Quite an interesting story. He mentioned that he has been doing this for the past 36 years. Originally he started with the first stall in Taman Desa Jaya, Kepong and a few years back, he started the second outlet in Desa Aman Puri. However, due to immigration issues, he had to close the outlet in Desa Jaya as the workers that were running that outlet were from Cambodia. 

Seating Area in the restaurant
His sons are also not interested in the business and presently he only has his wife and daughter assisting him. He is already 68 years of age and said that he would continue doing this until such time where he deems possible. He also mentions that it is a very tedious process and takes up the entire day for preparations. His sons are not interested as they prefer office jobs and do not get themselves involved in this business.

The Duck, Lamb and Pork Satay
However, he also has a big group of supporters. He does a lot of functions and even now, his Saturdays have been booked right up to the month of December to cater for parties and private functions. Otherwise, his official close day is every Tuesday. So please bear this in mind before heading over as in short most Saturdays and every Tuesdays, he is closed. It is also good to call before going to confirm that the stall is open. The numbers are there on the first photograph. 

The Duck, Lamb and Pork Satay
The satay itself was quite good. I took his recommendation to try the satay without the peanut sauce dip and then with it. I personally preferred it without the dip as you get to taste the juicy meat and each of those variations, gave a different flavor. 

The Duck, Lamb and Pork Satay
The Thick Peanut Sauce
The Peanut Sauce that he prepared was also very thick when compared to that of Satay Kajang Hj. Samuri and it surely was very low in sugar. 

The Prices of the various Satays
The price is also very reasonable for the size of each skewer. On the whole, I would definitely visit this place again soon for many reasons which includes the price, taste and the warm reception of Mr. Yap. As I was about to leave, he also showed me various magazine write ups on his stall in the past and even some interviews which he did with ASTRO Chinese Channel. 

Address: Ehsan Industrial Park, Kepong
GPS :  N 03.20978 E101.61727
Tel: Mr. Yap +6019 218 7538
Closed on Tuesdays. Open 1800 - 2230

4 comments:

  1. New location is at Hou Yi Kei, near Khun Thai http://goo.gl/maps/mLsWK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind feedback. Appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. One of the very famous places for Pork Satay. Love his preparation :)

      Delete