Wednesday 13 May 2015

Restoran Tomyam Marina @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Tomyam Marina is the latest addition to the consistently growing Tomyam restaurants in Tanjung Malim. This restaurant is located in Taman Universiti where most of the new restaurants seem to be mushrooming, possibly because of the close proximity to Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris. As always, whenever I see a new eatery, I would be very keen to explore the place and as such, here I am today.

The Restaurant in Taman Universiti

Simple Set Up

Indoor & Outdoor Seating Available
Previously, this used to be a Malay Seafood restaurant and that did not last too long, probably under three months. I did not manage to visit that restaurant but I was told by friends that they had been charging premium prices and as such, were forced to close down simply because of lack of customers. Having taken over log, stock and barrel, it was a good start for these guys. The restaurant looked good despite being simple in design. I was very impressed with the level of cleanliness at this place. I must say that it was very clean. We were here at around 9.30 pm and there were a couple of tables that were occupied. In fact, more and more customers were coming in post 10 pm. Must be after the night classes at the University. 

Their Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
In a matter of minutes, one of their staffs brought over the menu. The menu was very impressive. I was impressed to see the variety of Fried Rice dishes that they offered and the prices were very cheap. Besides the other common dishes, they also had some very attractive economy meal sets. Since I was eating alone with my brother just accompanying me, I decided to go for their economy meal sets. My choice was Set 7 which was priced at RM 11.00 . Also included in the set was a drink, which was either Teh O Ice or Iced Syrup and I choose Iced Syrup. My brother just ordered a Teh O Ice as he was on a diet and this drink was priced at RM 1.50 . 

Iced Syrup

Teh O Ice @ RM 1.50
As there were quite a number of orders, it did take them a while to send the drinks over. Both the drinks were good. Not those watered down versions that we get when the drinks are provided complimentary. I would rate both at 8/10 .

White Rice
They had provided me a large portion of rice for the price that they charged for the set meals. In most other places, the portion of rice provided would be somewhat two thirds of this. Impressed!

Telur Dadar (Omelette with Onions)

Telur Dadar (Omelette with Onions)
The Telur Dadar was once again a full portion. Since it was a set meal with ridiculously cheap prices, I was expecting them to cut portion sizes but they just did not. This was a good one. Not those overly greasy types. Mildly salted with just the right amount of onions. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Kailan Ikan Masin

Kailan Ikan Masin
Another excellent preparation! The Kailan was so fresh, the portion was good and they were lavish with the salted fish. Loved it and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Chicken Tomyam Soup

Chicken Tomyam Soup

Chicken Chunks
From all the Tomyam places that I have tried in Tanjung Malim, this is now the best preparation that I have tasted. It was thick and concentrated and I guess the colour speaks for itself. And it was served in a beautiful clay pot. A spicy Tomyam that leaves a lovely aftertaste. Delicious! I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Meal Done
My set meal cost us RM 11.00 and my brother's drink was RM 1.50 and that brought the total to RM 12.50 . Very cheap I would say and the food was very good. Absolutely no complaints, even with their service levels. Definitely a place that I would highly recommend. 

Address: No. 42, Jalan U1, Taman Universiti, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1200 - 0000 Daily

Telephone: +6017 5896 467 

2 comments:

  1. Wow!What a good find! The Tomyam soup looks so concentrated. I would definitely have a lot of this!

    ReplyDelete