Wednesday 12 April 2017

Restoran Tiong Hokkien Mee @ Damansara Utama, Selangor

Usually, I would head to Damansara Hokkien Mee to fix my Hokkien Mee craving but since it has been a very long time since I visited these guy's and also because of the fact that my brother had not been to this one before, we came here for supper this evening. 

Still Busy Around Midnight

Kam Heong Clams Is A New Addition

Menu
It is not surprising to see customers coming here even past midnight. Both restaurants, this one and Damansara Hokkien Mee seem to attract crowd even at odd hours. Nevertheless, their neighbours definitely have a larger crowd at all times. The price has definitely been increasing over the years. I wonder if there would ever be a stop to that and even fear to imagine what it would cost in 10 years to come. Service wise, don't expect much. All their staffs are Burmese and they are generally just there to do their job and are not willing to go the extra mile to satisfy customers. For example, at one point, I had asked them for the Chili Paste and I kept asking a number of staffs but no one brought me what I had asked for and at the end, I had to get it myself from another table. Well, when business is so good, this is what you tend to get. 

Hokkien Mee (2 Pax) @ RM 18.00

Chili Paste
The Hokkien Mee that we ordered was for two pax and it was priced at RM 18.00 . Over at their neighbours, it is priced at RM 16.00 . Both outlets do very different style of preparation. Over here, it is moist but not as wet as their neighbour's, yet it was still tasty. The noodles itself was springy and fresh and it came with decent amount of cabbage, lard and prawns. Though different in style of preparation, we still enjoyed this dish. I would rate this noodles at 8/10 . Their Chili Paste was different too. Though it was nice, I would still prefer the Chili Paste at Damansara Hokkien Mee Restaurant. It felt like it lacked Belacan. This, I would rate it at 7/10 .

Fermented Red Beancurd (Nam Yu) Fried Chicken Wings @ RM 7.00
The Fried Chicken Wings is a specialty at this restaurant. I ordered two pieces (which is the minimum order quantity) and it was served in a plate with banana leaf at the base. The Chicken Wings were simply delicious. They were fried to perfection in a coating of spices and fermented beancurd that was simply perfect. If only I was able to consume more, I would have definitely ordered another helping of these. My rating for these would be a perfect 10/10 .

Kam Heong Clams @ RM 18.00
This is a new addition to their menu. A small plate of this is priced at RM 18.00 and the larger one is priced at RM 28.00 . Quite pricey I would say for the portion size but taste wise, it was very good. They were very generous with the dried shrimps gravy and that lifted the taste. Loved it for sure and this would be one that I would recommend here as well. Rating wise, I'd give it a 9/10. 

In summary, their Hokkien Meee was just okay and not one to get excited about. Those days yes, I would say that they were quite good as there were a limited number of players in the market. Now, we are spoilt for choice and I have definitely tasted much better ones. The Fried Chicken Wings and Kam Heong Clams however were very good. For those, I would definitely return.

Address: Jalan SS 21/37, Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1730 - 0200 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment