Sunday 6 October 2013

Krishna Curry House @ Jalan SS9A/19, Petaling Jaya

Krishna Curry House is a long standing brand name known for good South Indian food in Petaling Jaya. Having been located for the past 25 years along Jalan 222, they have recently relocated their restaurant to Jalan SS9A/19 . Many times I had driven to Jalan 222 only to find that their restaurant had been closed with no sign explaining where they had moved. It was only recently that I picked up their new location from their blog post. This new outlet is not far from where there were previously. In order to get here, if you are coming from the Federal Highway north bound, do take the exit at the MOX (Malaysian Oxygen) and Cycle & Carriage intersection and turn left again at the traffic lights. Just at this turn, you would be able to see a small sign on your left directing you to the new Krishna Curry House outlet. From here, just head straight for another 50 meters and you would be able to see the restaurant on your left.

Restaurant Krishna Curry House in Petaling Jaya


Interior of the Restaurant

Interior of the Restaurant
I remember reading somewhere that they were forced to move as the landlord had increased the rental to an exorbitant level. This new outlet seems to be more organised and is much more spacious compared to the previous one and can seat at least 200 pax at any point in time. 

Curries Counter

Fish & Seafood Marinated and Ready to be fried upon request
As a matter of habit, I always walk to their curry counter to see whats available. Sometimes, they have some specialty curries which the waiters fail to mention and it is best to check it out for myself. Please do note that self service is prohibited at this restaurant as all orders goes out by strict measurements. Along with this, my all time favourite at this restaurant is their Claypot Mutton and I wanted to be certain that that was available for the day too. Besides the Claypot Mutton, they also have Claypot Chicken and Claypot Crab; all of which are excellent. You could also order their seafood items by selecting the fish and getting them to fry it for you. After having selected my items, I went over to my table. 

Teh O'Ais @ RM 1.70
Their Teh O'Ais was very well prepared. Initially they had made a mistake by bringing over a Teh Ais and when I corrected them, without a fuss they quickly replaced it. I would rate their Tea at 9.5/10 .

Basic Banana Leaf Meal @ RM 6.00
Their basic Banana Leaf Meal comes with white rice, three vegetables, Papadam, pickles and a glass of Rasam. I felt that their vegetables were very ordinary and they should have increased it to either more variety or for them to have better vegetables. Assuming I was a vegetarian, then my choices were limited to only the above. I even asked if they had Tauhu Sambal and the waiter mentioned that they did not have it for that day. As for the basic set, I would only rate it at 5/10 . The vegetables surely did not impress me!

Trying Their Sambar
As the first gravy, I tried out their Sambar. Another disappointment it turned out to be. Either it was diluted recently as they ran out of Sambar or the preparation was very bad, both ways it was bad stuff. It lacked the spices and seem too diluted for me. I would only rate their Sambar at 5/10 .

Claypot Mutton @ RM 10.00
This is my all time favourite at this restaurant. Without fail, I must order this dish every time I come here and today too, this dish was simply fantastic. The red thick gravy was heavenly spiced along with a mixture of mutton chunks and bones, made this dish a heavenly treat. I am yet to see a restaurant that prepares this dish better. As always, this dish scores a perfect 10/10 . A must try dish!!!

Fried Tenggiri Fish @ RM 5.00
Their Fried Tenggiri Fish was another wonderfully done dish. It was served hot and the marination was simply superb. I have tried the Fried Tenggiri Fish in a number of famous restaurants around the Klang Valley and this place always serves the best. The fish was very fresh, the spices were perfect and it was fried to perfection. Absolutely flawless!!! I would rate this at 10/10 . 

Rasam
Their Rasam was also just above average. It lacked certain ingredients thus giving it a very ordinary taste. I have surely tasted much better Rasam elsewhere. I would rate their Rasam at 5.5/10 .

From years of dining at this restaurant, I had observed that they always score badly at their vegetarian dishes but score extremely well with their non vegetarian dishes. And when I say years, it means at least for the last 18 years. If you are a vegetarian, then I would not recommend this restaurant but if you are someone who loves meat be it mutton, chicken, crab, fish etc, then this is the place for you to have a royal feast. The food would definitely not disappoint you and in fact, you would surely have over eaten by the time you were done with the food. I have also seen many reviews that claim that the prices here are expensive but I do not find that so. For example, the above Claypot Mutton is priced at RM 10 but hey, if you were a moderate eater, that could be shared by two. For me, I am willing to pay for good food then to pay minimal for food with compromised quality just because they are trying to keep the prices low. I guess, it is a matter of choice between filling the stomach and treating your taste buds. 

Address: D-G & E-G, Jalan SS9A/19, Seri Setia Sg. Way,
                47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2200 Daily

Telephone: +603 7865 7469

Email: krishnacurryhouse@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment