Tuesday 19 February 2013

Cafe Uncle Steve's @ Bandar Damansara Perdana, Petaling Jaya

Some of my friends had dined at this restaurant called Cafe Uncle Steve's last week and they gave me a very good review of the place. Having heard that, I immediately decided that I must try the place out. It is located in Bandar Damansara Perdana. Basicly, it is a Hainanese Restaurant that is Halal. I heard that they also serve a number of fusion items too. It was not difficult to find this place. It is located at the same as  the famous Restaurant 8888 facing Friendscino Cafe, just that it is the block after.

Cafe Uncle Steve's
The signboard is very colorful and thus this restaurant stands out from it's neighbors. Even their signboard boasts of their Hainanese Chicken Rice and Ipoh Hor Fun.

Nasi Lemak Station at the entrance
Their Nasi Lemak is quite famous too and they have placed a table outside the restaurant near the entrance to promote it. They too have seating options both inside and outside. Wifi is also available.

Simple Yet Beautiful Interior

The Chicken Rice Station

Closer Look At Their Chicken Rice Station

Clean Too
The shop was very clean as you can see form the above photos. I was informed by Mr. Steve himself that he had just opened here three months ago.

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
I was then going through the menu. It seemes that quite a number of dishes here are very famous with the locals. Some of the famous items are the Hainanese Chicken Rice, Nasi Lemak, Ipoh Hor Fun and the Mustard Chicken Rice. Having made a mental note, I wished to try as many items as possible. 

Nasi Lemak Kampung Baru @ RM 3.60
Firstly, I tried their Nasi Lemak. Their offering is not limited to this. They have Fried Chicken, Beef Rendang, Sotong Sambal, Kerang Sambal, Fried Eggs, Pekedel (Potato Cutlets), Tempe (Indonesian Soy Paste) and many more. They all looked good but I did not want to fill my stomach with too much of this dish alone. The core of any Nasi Lemak is their Coconut Milk Rice and Sambal and I particularly wanted to try these. Now, the rice was decent. It was not fantastic but good. Their sambal was on the sweet side and I would have preferred it to be spicy. However, from my observation this Nasi Lemak seemes to be a favourite as I saw many customers order this. If I were to rate it to my taste, I would give this 6.5 / 10 .

Hainanese Chicken Rice @ RM 6.50
Well, for me it did not cost RM 6.50. I wanted to try the Chicken only and they charged me a mere RM 3.50 . Now, the Chicken was definitely very good. It was soft, juicy and extremely well done. Great job here Uncle Steve. I loved it thoroughly. Would give their Hainanese Chicken a rating of 9.5/10 .

8 Treasures Herbal Tea @ RM 2.00
Well, don't be impressed by the name. It is just the usual Herbal Tea. The hot version is sold at RM 1.50 and cold one at RM 2.00 . I feel this was pretty diluted and below average. I could feel more ice water like taste throughout this drink with slight sweetness. Thats about it. I would only rate this 3/10 . 

Special Ipoh Hor Fun @ RM 6.90
Well, this was the next one we tried. I wanted to eliminate the chicken and just have prawns and Uncle Steve obliged by adding more prawns and maintaining the price. Verdict, this was pretty good too. I liked the soup and the overall flavour of the dish. I would rate this at 9/10 . Pretty good for Halal Hor Fun and it can anytime beat the Non Halal version.

Prawn Wanton Soup @ RM 6.00

Closer Look At The Prawn Wanton
This dish was sold at RM 6.00 and it comes with five pieces of Prawn Wanton. As you can see from the above photo, the Wanton's were huge and the prawn inside was fresh. I loved this dish too. The base soup was the same as the Hor Fun. This is another good dish to try here. Would rate their Wanton's at 9/10 .

Contact Information
On the whole, this is a great place to go in search of the above dishes, specifically the Ipoh Hor Fun and Hainanese Chicken Rice. The best part is that is is open till midnight daily, except on Sundays. A good point to note for our Muslim friends is that this restaurant is Halal. As I was speaking to Mr. Steve on the way out, he even mentioned that I can call and order and pick up the items at the specified time and hence eliminate the waiting time. He was surely a very friendly man and the staffs here at this restaurant are extremely efficient. They also have a Facebook fan page as you can see from the above business card.On the whole, the bill came to a mere RM 22.00 for the above dishes which I feel is very reasonable. I would definitely come back again to this restaurant.

Address: 12-1, Jalan PJU 8/5B, 
                Bandar Damansara Perdana,
                47820 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1100 - 0000 Daily (Closed on Sundays)

Telephone: +6018 2236 126

Dear friends, as of September 2013, I have realised that this place is already closed and is no longer in business. Kindly do take note. Best regards, Venoth. 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I wonder why they closed down...the food looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that it was some financial issues. Not sure how far it's true thought but that's what I was told by the landlord.

      Delete
  2. 敬爱的佛教信土:
    我是甲洞三宝寺 (暹廟) SAMNAK SAMBODHI BUDDHIST ASSOCIATION NO: 19-21 JALAN 38 TAMAN DESA JAYA KEPONG 52100 KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA. 的理事, 当任此职多年, 对内的事務也一清二楚。

    最近, 在网络上看了PHRA PIYATHAMMO和尚和马华公会鸱唛区主席叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)律师的双方信件, 使我的内心久久不能平伏, 良心受到很大的譴責, 不吐訢不痛快, 所以我要誠恳的説:他叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)侓师叫外来的流流氓到三宝寺(暹廟)挑衅和尚打架及电招警方人员扣捕沙彌, 其嘲笑手法, 不外是要显示其权力, 而鞏固其职位, 以达到权力就是一切, 好让住持难堪, 自动離开, 方便行事……这种举动, 已间接的表逹其含意, 住持和尚兼顾问, 都无能为力,你们这些信徒能做什么?即使告马耒西亜佛教总会又能为难什么?这种心态, 的硧令人反感, 不是一个正信佛教者应有的行为。

    至今, 三宝寺的理事成员多数是其親戚, 这是实事, 加入会员需交RM100元费用,同时,必须经过叶金福(Yip Kum Fook)律师的同意,否则免談, 所以会员也不多。

    马华公会鹅唛区主席叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)律师,自控制三宝寺之後,把三宝寺(暹廟)当着私人產業,聘用和尚賺钱,利用佛教的道地为政治活动埸所,而处理三宝寺的钱财也不透明?这点,值得信众追问。马来西亚地擴人多,和尚也不缺乏,为什么不用本地和尚当任住持化缘,却偏偏劳心劳神,浪费签证费,交通费? 还要烦劳梹城佛总的推荐信, 向文化不同, 而語言又不通之千哩外囯缅旬和尚求助? 为什么….为什么? 只要我们用头脑想一想,便一日了然, 不必晝虎添足。

    叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak )律师说:欢迎任何人如有意见,可以电话03:62762369/0122039700 Email: YIPKUMFOOK@HOTMAIL.COM 戓到其马华公会鹅唛区会甲洞三宝寺及以下地圵:NO.2,B JALAN 53 TAMAN DESA JAYA KEPONG 52100 SELANGOR, MALAYSIA.討論, 我要老实的提醒大家, 最好不要一个去見他, 因为这个人狡滑, 笑裡藏刀, 很阴险, 出家人都不放在眼裡, 連TAMAN DAYA 52100 KEPONG, KUALA LUMPUR. 众人的印度廟也敢放火燒, 利用权势把场地佔为己有, 由此可见, 他是何等的心毒? 还有现在三宝寺内, 各处都按裝计孔监视来人一举一动。

    目前, 三宝寺很多信徒及当地居民, 已经对叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak )律师不满, 但也不能做什么。他计划把三宝寺主席的职位轉给其子YIP JIUN HANN律师, 续承皇朝. 想近一部了觧詳情, 可上网得知。

    再说, 根据前理事在网络上给叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)律师的批評, 説他懂得包裝自己的道德守则, 以宗教为幌子手, 到处募款, 啇業经营, 政治活动为重, 并没依循佛教守則行事, 也没对人道作出貢献, 只不过借三宝寺宗教之名捞取权和私利而己, 其言也不为过, 是实事。

    在此, 我恳切希望, 廣大的佛教信仰者, 给予关注, 并共創義举, 弘扬佛教. 谢谢。

    Mr Lim Sok Chia敬啟

    ReplyDelete