Thursday 21 February 2013

Gopala Pure Vegetarian Restaurant @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

I was browsing the internet for a good vegetarian restaurant today to have dinner as this would be a good break from the usual meat stuffs and I came across this restaurant in Brickfields called Gopala Vegetarian Restaurant. I was attracted to try this place for two reasons. Firstly, it is not the usual Indian Vegetarian restaurant as their specialty dishes are Vegetarian Yong Tau Foo and Vegetarian Satay. The other reason being they open till 1 am as when I was surfing, it was already close to 10 pm. I also came across a video where they were being highlighted in AFC (Asian Food Channel) for the above mentioned two dishes. This made me even more eager to give it a try.

Sign At The Restaurant

Entrance To The Restaurant
I called the number that I got from the internet and got some directions to this place. When I reached the destination, it was then I realised that this restaurant is just beside the Singh Chapati House that I had previously done an entry on. Another point to note here is that this restaurant works on the concept of Vaishnavism and Jainism hence they do not use Garlic and Onions in their cooking.

Shelf Displaying Cakes

Simple And Clean

Small And Efficient Cooking Area
The restaurant was pretty simple in layout but highly efficient and organised. I was informed that once the owners had a stall just outside this present premises along the corridor and over the years, they progressed to the extent that they were able to buy two shop lots. That's happy to hear. The restaurant only occupies a single shop lot though. I believe the kitchen may be extended to the rear of the neighboring unit. The front of the neighboring shop is rented to a cybercafe. They also sell Murukkus, Mixtures and some South Indian Cakes in the shop but I never tried them.

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
Once we took our table, we were immediately attended to. As I said, they were very efficient. The menu was a very elaborate one as you can see from the above photos. I asked him for a couple of minutes to go through the menu. The Menu however, looks like it needs a new set of laminates. Coming back to the menu, I managed to sight the Yong Tau Foo and Satay here. We also added another dish and then our drinks to the order.

Masala Tea @ RM 2.50
This was the first to arrive. It is a cup of non Cows Milk Masala Tea. The tea was nice, balanced and low in sugar. However, I feel that they should have sieved it better. Loads of sediments were found to be floating on top which I did not quite like. Otherwise, it was okay. I would rate this tea 7/10 .

Sirap Bandung @ RM 2.20

Angie ordered this drink. I did taste this. Once again, it was average only. Pretty light and not the best or even one of the best one's I have tried. Again, I would rate this drink a mere 6/10 .

A Closer Look At The Vegetarian Chicken Manchurian

Vegetarian Chicken Manchurian @ RM 9.00

The first dish to arrive was the Vegetarian Chicken Manchurian. This dish was lovely. It was far better than the ones I have tried in India. It was even better than actual Chicken. It was wonderfully spiced and definitely spicy for me. Portion size was also lavish for the price, however it comes in a single portion size only. I would rate this dish 9.5/10 . Definitely a must try dish here.

Wondering What Is In The Claypot?

Gaura Tau Foo @ RM 7.00

Gaura Tau Foo @ RM 7.00
Sweet Sauce with Chilly for dipping
Here the Yong Tau Foo dish is called Gaura Yong Tau Foo. It had all the basics you find in a non vegetarian Yong Tau Foo. From the Tofu, Brinjals, Bitter Gourd, Lady's Finger to even the Fu Chok and Chillies, they were all in. However, you cannot choose how much of each you want in the Clay Pot. It is a standard size and comes in fixed assortment. Some items many not be up to the mark of a non vegetarian item however, it was good by Vegetarian standards. Definitely a must try. Best part was their soup. It was void of Garlic and Onions and had to be substituted with other condiments and hence it was white and milky but tasted similar.I truly wonder what they had used to equate the taste. For RM 7.00, definitely worth the price. I would rate this dish 9.5/10 .

Vegetarian Satay @ RM 6.00

Vegetarian Satay @ RM 6.00

Satay Being Grilled
It did take some time for the Satay to arrive as they forgot our order. I could have just walked out but still wanted to try it due to the recommendations from AFC. Finally after 45 minutes, we got our satay. It was not bad. I still feel that though many people acclaim that this Satay is tremendous, perhaps they have not tried the real Satay. I don't blame them. They may be vegetarians from birth. This was just average to me. They tried their best to imitate the originals but were no where close. For a Vegetarian Satay, I would rate this 7/10 but if compared with the actual Chicken Satay, this would only score 2/10 . Even their gravy was not up to the mark. In fact, it was bad.

On the whole, this restaurant was not bad. Few items that I tried that is worth mentioning is the Gaura Yong Tau Foo and Manchurian Chicken. Not had a chance to try the rest but would not hesitate to come back here again. Parking however, can be a problem both day and night.  If you are a Vegan, then this place can be a good place for you to dine.

Address: No. 59, Jalan Thambipillai, Brickfields,
                50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 2274 1959

Opening Hours: 0700 - 0100

5 comments:

  1. I went with my Shifu and Temple Members who are curries lovers for Set Lunch, unfortunately, They have alternate Curry days. The problem is I do not know which day is Curry Day as we are from Kota D'sara. PJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Footman, sad to hear that you did not get a chance to try their curries. I too have not heard of this before and thanks for sharing here.

      Delete
  2. Please write a piece about Gopala Restaurant in Puchong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Naidu, thank you so much for your kind request. Would surely check them out when I am in Puchong next. :)

      Delete
  3. 敬爱的佛教信土:
    我是甲洞三宝寺 (暹廟) SAMNAK SAMBODHI BUDDHIST ASSOCIATION NO: 19-21 JALAN 38 TAMAN DESA JAYA KEPONG 52100 KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA. 的理事, 当任此职多年, 对内的事務也一清二楚。

    最近, 在网络上看了PHRA PIYATHAMMO和尚和马华公会鸱唛区主席叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)律师的双方信件, 使我的内心久久不能平伏, 良心受到很大的譴責, 不吐訢不痛快, 所以我要誠恳的説:他叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)侓师叫外来的流流氓到三宝寺(暹廟)挑衅和尚打架及电招警方人员扣捕沙彌, 其嘲笑手法, 不外是要显示其权力, 而鞏固其职位, 以达到权力就是一切, 好让住持难堪, 自动離开, 方便行事……这种举动, 已间接的表逹其含意, 住持和尚兼顾问, 都无能为力,你们这些信徒能做什么?即使告马耒西亜佛教总会又能为难什么?这种心态, 的硧令人反感, 不是一个正信佛教者应有的行为。

    至今, 三宝寺的理事成员多数是其親戚, 这是实事, 加入会员需交RM100元费用,同时,必须经过叶金福(Yip Kum Fook)律师的同意,否则免談, 所以会员也不多。

    马华公会鹅唛区主席叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)律师,自控制三宝寺之後,把三宝寺(暹廟)当着私人產業,聘用和尚賺钱,利用佛教的道地为政治活动埸所,而处理三宝寺的钱财也不透明?这点,值得信众追问。马来西亚地擴人多,和尚也不缺乏,为什么不用本地和尚当任住持化缘,却偏偏劳心劳神,浪费签证费,交通费? 还要烦劳梹城佛总的推荐信, 向文化不同, 而語言又不通之千哩外囯缅旬和尚求助? 为什么….为什么? 只要我们用头脑想一想,便一日了然, 不必晝虎添足。

    叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak )律师说:欢迎任何人如有意见,可以电话03:62762369/0122039700 Email: YIPKUMFOOK@HOTMAIL.COM 戓到其马华公会鹅唛区会甲洞三宝寺及以下地圵:NO.2,B JALAN 53 TAMAN DESA JAYA KEPONG 52100 SELANGOR, MALAYSIA.討論, 我要老实的提醒大家, 最好不要一个去見他, 因为这个人狡滑, 笑裡藏刀, 很阴险, 出家人都不放在眼裡, 連TAMAN DAYA 52100 KEPONG, KUALA LUMPUR. 众人的印度廟也敢放火燒, 利用权势把场地佔为己有, 由此可见, 他是何等的心毒? 还有现在三宝寺内, 各处都按裝计孔监视来人一举一动。

    目前, 三宝寺很多信徒及当地居民, 已经对叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak )律师不满, 但也不能做什么。他计划把三宝寺主席的职位轉给其子YIP JIUN HANN律师, 续承皇朝. 想近一部了觧詳情, 可上网得知。

    再说, 根据前理事在网络上给叶金福(Yip Kum Fook, MCA Gombak)律师的批評, 説他懂得包裝自己的道德守则, 以宗教为幌子手, 到处募款, 啇業经营, 政治活动为重, 并没依循佛教守則行事, 也没对人道作出貢献, 只不过借三宝寺宗教之名捞取权和私利而己, 其言也不为过, 是实事。

    在此, 我恳切希望, 廣大的佛教信仰者, 给予关注, 并共創義举, 弘扬佛教. 谢谢。

    Mr Lim Sok Chia敬啟

    ReplyDelete