Monday, 17 August 2015

Kedai Makanan Brother Roaster Shop @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

This is another famous Chicken Rice place in Tanjung Malim that has been around for more than 10 years now. Located along Jalan Loke Yew (which is quite close to Taman Bandar), it is a family owned business that's been running on a moderate scale for a very long time. Sometimes, keeping it simple is good as you have less overheads to worry about and is more than sufficient to cater for the daily crowd. I have been here once many years ago, when the son was still schooling and today, he is the main person manning the restaurant, of course with the assistance of his parents. 

The Restaurant

Located Opposite The Famous Hotel Tanjong
Business starts at 9.00 am and this goes on till around 4.00 pm. The famous dishes here would be his roasted items, Chicken and Siew Yuk. Besides these, they also have Steamed Chicken and Char Siew. However, the most famous place for Siew Yuk and Char Siew in town is another restaurant which I have blogged about in the past. That place is extremely famous so much so, you would have to book at least a week in advance for their Char Siew and Siew Yuk. To read more about that restaurant, please click on this link. http://venoth.blogspot.com/2014/02/restoran-san-cia-tanjung-malim-perak.html . Coming back to this restaurant, if you need a landmark to locate this place, you could always refer to the above photograph as that Hotel Tanjung has been there since probably the 60's and this restaurant is directly opposite that building. Surely can't miss this place. 

Order's Placed

Chinese Tea @ RM 0.50
Having taken a seat, I checked with his mother who approached me for my orders to see what was still available at this hour. When I arrived, it was already 3.30 pm  and understandably, most of it would have been sold out and I was willing to take that risk. Fortunately, their Roasted Chicken and Steamed Chicken were still available and I had asked for them both to be served with rice. With that, they served my drink and went on with their work. Being closing hours, both parents were busy cleaning up the place and the son was helping to pack things up. Nice of them that they were willing to accomodate me amidst those closing hours. The tiredness was clearly visible on their faces and I did not want to bother them much and ended up taking those items like Chili and cutlery myself. Their Chinese Tea was priced at RM 0.50 per glass and it was nice.

Chicken Rice (2 Meats) @ RM 5.50

Chicken Rice (2 Meats) @ RM 5.50
The Chicken Rice was served in a pleasant looking presentation. Loved his sense of presentation and the way he had arranged the items beautifully on the plate. This also came with some Cucumber slices on the sides and a small bowl of clear soup.

Butter Rice
This rice was good. Cooked with butter and ginger, it was fragrant, creamy and very delicious. So good to be even eaten on it's own. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Steamed Chicken

Steamed Chicken
The Steamed Chicken looked very pale to me and clearly, it wasn't their forte. Having been steamed, it should have been moist but this was quite to the contrary. Dry and a little coarse. Nah, just very average stuff and I would rate this at 6/10 .

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Chicken
In contrary to the steamed version, this Roasted Chicken was delicious. The marination was bold and they had clearly stuffed it with some herbs and spices before roasting the bird. I could feel those herbs oozing from inside out and that was just heavenly. The skin, meat and even bones were so tasty. This Roasted Chicken is definitely one that I would recommend! This deserves a rating of 9.8/10 .

Chili Paste with Lime
This Chili Paste is not the commercial ones that are sold in bottles but one that is prepared by them. The verdict? It was amazing. Spicy, tangy and fresh, it was a delight to a chili lover like me. Would you believe me if I said that I had four servings of this alone? Gosh, luckily the owners didn't observe me doing that or else I would have been possibly charged for this too. Thoroughly enjoyed it! This deserves a 10/10 . No qualms about it.

Clear Soup
As it is customary in all Chicken Rice places, they too provided a small bowl of clear soup. Generally, this is prepared by boiling the soup with some waste bones and organs of the steamed chicken, generally called 'spare parts'. This preparation was nice but not great. It was just another bowl of soup that came complimentary. For me, this deserves a rating of perhaps just 6.5/10 .

A Very Cute Price List
The above are the prices that they charge here. Generally standard prices. You could also call in and order any of the items offered. This would be good especially if you are looking at getting a bird or more, or perhaps 1 KG or more of Char Siew or Siew Yuk. The contact details I have provided at the bottom for your convenience. Overall, I am happy with the food here and from what I tried this evening, their Roasted Chicken is indeed a winner. Truly a very apt name for the restaurant. If you're dining in, trying that chili paste is definitely a must!

Address: Along Jalan Loke Yew, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0900 - 1600 Daily

Telephone: +6017 2188 451 

No comments:

Post a Comment